Going rate for a costruction project manager

tistan

Established Member
I have been working for myself for the last year. I got a call today from a architect/ general contractor, and he is trying to hire me. He got my name from the electrician that subs from me, my painter also subs from him. Both of them vouch for him as a real standup good guy. I wouldn't even consider it except he is a commercial contractor too. If I go to work for him, I could learn a lot about the commercial side of building where right now I only do residential. Do to new license laws, as it stands right now, I could never get a commercial license without going back to college or getting a job giving me experience working under a commercial contractor. Downside is I think I am going to take a big cut in pay, but I really don't need the money right now and I think the experience will pay off in the long run. I am going in tomorrow afternoon to discuss pay and responsibilities. After this crash in the construction market, I really don't know what the going rate is for this job. Before 2007 this would have been a $70-80k a year job, but now I don't know. I would appreciate any input.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Depends on his revenue and size of the company. I'm a commercial construction Superintendent and in 08 just before the toilet flushed I was just a hair under 100k.
Now companies can pick and choose. If he's a small co. I'd guess 50k-65k.
If he's good sized [ 50 employees +/- with 30m revenue] 65k-75k. If he's doing around a 100m a year 80k-90k.
You can check out salary.com or payscale.com to see the salary range in your area. One of them is pretty detailed asking questions[ size of co. benefits,location,# of employees.] That will give you the median in your area.
I'm down 30% here in Fla. but it's starting to pick up again and so is the $.

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
My guess is $65-75K with benefits, for starters, in this economy. Like hemihunter stated, it depends on the size of the company and the scope of work. Best of luck!

tistan

Established Member
Thanks guys. I figured if he offers me anything over $50k with future performance based earning potential, I will take the job. It would cost me my time and a lot of money for me to go to college for the same thing. For a pay cut, I get job experience and pay while not having to put in a full work week and college at night for 6 years to get to the same place.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The way I look a it, may be a simple pay cut now, but like you said, performance wise, as long as you hold up your end, you should make out fine if you excel at what you do (not saying you don't).

It also gives you the potential to switch to the commercial side later on with experience and get paid! :D

Good luck man

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I last worked as an accountant at a large general contractor they did 800M to 1B a year and project managers were from 70ish-200k with performance based bonus's anything from 20-200k. Just some insight on what you could potentially make if you find the right company. They had the best benefits of any place I had worked too.

Users who are viewing this thread