GOD (bleep) it..... Mother (bleep) er........

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Well, I just made a costly mistake tonight after work. I got my fuel sending unit and 3 way fitting to run my Nordscog digital fuel pressure guage from Summit. It came this evening while I was at work, so I was looking forward to lighting up under the hood, chuggin' an ice cold Coors Light, and getting it done, and I did. Turned the ignition to on, and it was registering beautifully. But as I went back under the hood, yep, you guessed it, there was a leak in the fitting that goes into the Schrader valve. No biggie, let's torque that thing a bit more and CRACK. NOOOOOoooooooo. It was clean to the edge broken inside the valve. Give me a freakin' break for the love of football !!!! Tried everything, and to no avail, she ain't coming out. Guess I'll be ordering a new fuel rail...........what can ya do:nonono:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That sucks. Since I don't know much about the mechanics of a car, I will give you some other uesless information.

Most car horns honk in the key of 'F'

Hope that can help you out in some way.

Last edited:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by WireEater
That sucks. Since I don't know much about the mechanics of a car, I will give you some other uesless information.

Most car horns honk in the key of 'F'

Hope that can help you out in some way.

Hmmmmmm, great insight on my situation:D

Randall

Established Member
Here's what I did when the same thing happened on my 2001 GT.

I removed the fuel rail and carefully drilled out the broken piece, then I tapped the rail with a 1/8 NPT pipe tap, (original is 1/16 NPT).

On mine there was enough material to do this safely, just make sure there are no fractures around the opening.

I never had a problem with it after that.

I forgot, keep your initial riser as short as possible to minimize the chance of bending the fuel rail.

Last edited:

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Funny thing about it is, I just tried to order a new one from the dealership, and the parts guy has no idea what I'm talking about. He said that it came as a manifold. This can't be right, because you can order high flow fuel rails all day long, I just can't seem to run accross an OEM rail for the 4.6. Anyone have any ideas on where to find one??

Randall

Established Member
Why don't you just buy a set of the Steeda rails? They're only $139.00 for the set. You'll need those fuel rail adapters to connect to the stock fuel system though.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by Randall
Why don't you just buy a set of the Steeda rails? They're only $139.00 for the set. You'll need those fuel rail adapters to connect to the stock fuel system though.

Well, basically because there is ALOT of plumbing and changing to do to go with these rails. You'll need aftermarket plumbing, fuel sensor, line upgrades and pump upgrade to run these rails. They are NOT an aftermarket "bolt on" rail. I appreciate the suggestion though......thanks for responding like you have Randall.

Neal

Untouchable
Established Member
the fuel rail/injector set up on an oldsmobile was the last big job I ever did. I got so frustrated I swore I wasn't turning any more wrenches. now I sit in front of the computer all day.

I still have to turn wrenches though.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
just buy a small set of extractors... it will pull it right out. They're basically just reverse thread screws...:shrug:

Well, I found some used ones with the aid of Randall (thanks man) and they'll be here Tuesday. 80 bucks shipped. I also had to buy a new 4an to 1/16 inch fitting to go back into the Scrader valve that was 12 bucks shipped. This little mistake costed me 92 bucks..........oh well, shit happens........:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread