"Go like hell" Movie

saleensc281

Established Member
I saw that today. I think it will be fairly interesting to watch compared to some of the crap that is out there today. Apparently Tom as owned a few Saleen's in his day too. Not sure about any Shelby's.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I surely hope it ends up being as good as I hope it will be. Should be an entertaining movie for sure! Tom Cruise seems to be kind of an odd choice to play Carroll, though.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Cruise is odd but I have to say I appreciate how he pays attention to detail (watch Collateral) and insists he do his own driving and stunts. That's probably why they are considering him because they want to make as real as possible; Oblivion was the same.

If this movie is good get ready for FGT prices to go up again lol.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Going to be a great movie, but they shouldn't have picked Tom Cruise IMO ...

Crowley

hoamskilet

Established Member
Weird pick to play Shelby, but cruise is usually good in just about everything he's in. Should be entertaining

oldmachguy

Established Member
Going to be a great movie, but they shouldn't have picked Tom Cruise IMO ...

Crowley

Agreed.

The book was fantastic. I can't see the movie being nearly as good, especially with TC playing Carroll. :dw:

A. J. Baime researched the story exhaustively, and interviewed basically everyone still left alive. What really happened and how it happened were better than any of the "fish stories" about it I had ever heard before.

Henry Ford II was royally pissed at Enzo, and he talked the board into giving him a blank check. Talk about all out corporate warfare. :coolman:

All car guys (and gals) should read that book.

coposrv

Established Member
Tom cruise as Carrol Shelby? A tiny little guy pretending to be a huge bad ass Texan? I can't picture it.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Tom cruise as Carrol Shelby? A tiny little guy pretending to be a huge bad ass Texan? I can't picture it.

This comment from the article sums it up:

Unless Cruise is funding the film himself, the casting of Tom Cruise as Carroll Shelby is almost as inappropriate as casting him in a historical bio-pic as Martin Luther King, Jr. Beyond his cars, Carroll Shelby was well known for being almost too tall for being a racing driver and for having a very strong Texas accent, neither of which I believe Cruise can successfully replicate. Even if one could overlook Cruise's height issue, the only accent he has ever been convincing with is Southern Californian and that's only because he's from there. A far better choice would be someone like Josh Brolin, simply because he's about the right height, has proven that he can speak with a completely convincing Texas accent (see "W"), is the right age for the "Ford vs Ferrari" time period, is arguably a better overall actor, and actually physically resembles Carroll Shelby. Considering just how significant the "Ford vs Ferrari" rivalry was to motorsports, I find myself actually hoping that this film gets recast or cancelled altogether as opposed to possibly becoming "Days of Thunder, Part 2".

^ I agree with Josh Brolin as Carroll.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Should be interesting. Tom Cruise on serious roles, he takes them very seriously. I have faith in him, how can people forget him in Jerry Maguire, Collateral, A Few Good Men just to name a few. Now about that accent…...

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
They should have Cristopher Walken play Shelby. THAT would be entertaining. Who will play Enzo?

Oh...that would be hilarious. Sounds like an SNL skit. Walken cracks me up.

Please...please...not Tom Cruise. A pretty good actor...but he'd need to grow up to play Shelby. How about Lee Armey?...20 years ago.

Probably should be a good unknown actor. If not, who else?

The book was excellent...but should it be done cool like McQueen's LeMans...or a big production number like Rush?

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Tom Cruise as Carrol Shelby?

yao-ming-scared-b6d5c1c4a39038ac38e62987f935e9f9.png

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It couldve been a great movie, now itll just be a popcorn flick like Top Gun.

Way better actors out there to fit those shoes. Shorty Cruise is not one of them.

prs97

Established Member
Cruise as Shelby is just wrong. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the book again.

Users who are viewing this thread