• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

GM aims to stop selling gasoline vehicles by 2035 in carbon neutrality pledge

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by VRYALT3R3D, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Black02GT

Black02GT *Not 2KBlackGT Established Member

Time for General Fusion and Trialpha to get their asses moving. Spent fuel reactors are a possibility too.

2. thomas91169

thomas91169 # of bans = 5203 Established Member

Sucks to be GM. This is a gamble that may or may not pay off, but I see it not paying off.

EV's are nice, but the power grid isnt there. Part of the laughable attempt by Newsom in banning sales of all gas vehicles by 2035 is the fact the CA energy grid cant even keep up with the energy demands of two decades ago, let alone today. They shut down San Onofre nuclear plant and are shutting down Diablo Canyon, when CA at its summer peak has a production deficit of about 15-20,000MW, which it has to outsource the difference from others, also letting them pat themselves on the back saying they reduced CA's emissions but simply means somewhere else is making it. Typical democrat MO.

So give another year or two of questionable energy capacity and people will be real hesitant to buy into any EV's knowing their livelihoods may be on pause when you cant charge your car to go anywhere. Then again, if the democrats had their way, you wouldnt need go anywhere anyways as youd have no job and nothing open for you to go, and govt will drop off your rations daily at your door.

Pretty rad. We have a normal FFH and im getting about 41mpg nearly all fwy.

RedVenom48 and me32 like this.
  3. Black02GT

Black02GT *Not 2KBlackGT Established Member

There is A LOT to work out. Around here we're actually having opposite issues with the grid. Utility has a lot of red tape due to distributed generation pumping too much into certain feeders and losing control of direct trip transfer. We need a grid overhaul in many places. Up until VERY recently they were running new T1 lines to the sites from the sub. Talk about doing it the hard way.

As long as we're pludging the Country into massive un payable debt maybe we should get something out of it in the process.

4. stang910

stang910 Active Member Established Member

Does anybody want to take a guess how much electric will increase when 300 million cars are plugged in every night?

RedVenom48, Deceptive and Cobranator like this.
  5. Makobra

Makobra Mostly Peaceful Established Member

city people can have ev's but when you measure distance in time of travel you need to be able to fill up in a hurry.

RedVenom48 and Cobranator like this.
  6. quad

quad Well-Known Member Established Member

Maybe they are worried about Peak Oil? Just how much oil is really left? It's a finite resource, created over millions of years from dead plants and animals. Eventually more than half will have been used up and from there on out it will get ugly if the world is not weaned off it properly.

Hydroelectric power, geothermal power, these are all technologies that the world should invest in. Along with wind and solar power and nuclear imo.

Peak oil - Wikipedia

roadracer247 likes this.
  7. quad

quad Well-Known Member Established Member

8. Thorpz

Thorpz Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Government Motors will be just fine via the American tax payer... I just hope they figure out something better than the volt and spark by then, god those things are garbage. When do Tesla's patents expire?

9. kazman

kazman King of Kazmania Premium Member Established Member

Volt & Spark = the Monza & Vega of the early 21st century.

bluebosss197 likes this.
  10. Lambeau

Lambeau Superfleck Moonbird Established Member Malt Liquor Mafia

Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 5.20.32 AM.png

Especially when chyna owns all the rights to precious metals - worldwide.

bluebosss197, 03Sssnake and jeffh81 like this.
  11. bglf83

bglf83 Well-Known Member Established Member

Can other cars charge on the Tesla chargers? Those are the only chargers I ever see here.

If not, I do not see who would buy these cars.

12. IronSnake

IronSnake Beers for the boys Established Member

There's a healthy mix here of both styles.

But I do agree, there's a bit of an issue with the varying charge types right now. They all need to adapt the Tesla ones, or Tesla needs to get on board with the chargeamerica system or whatever its called

13. JPKII

JPKII Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm 47 years old. I hope to live the rest of my life without ever having an electric vehicle shoved down my throat. I identify as an ICE. This is an attack on who I am. I am offended. lol

14. kazman

kazman King of Kazmania Premium Member Established Member

^This. No lol

15. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

Not on the superchargers, a handshake happens between the car and the charger. The nonsupercharger stations require an adapter.

16. Blown 89

Why is the Volt garbage? Their battery management is turning out to be a better long term solution than it's competitors and their long term reliability is better than average.

03Sssnake and GTSpartan like this.
  17. blk02edge

blk02edge Well-Known Member Established Member

Im 31... So... Likely screwed in my later years. Newest car has a carburateur though

bluebosss197 likes this.
  18. RedVenom48

RedVenom48 Ghost Editor-in-Chief Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I'm converting to ethanol anyway. Next truck will be flex fuel. Here's hoping Ford is smart enough to make the new Bronco flex fuel as my wife wants one.

This way, we are both using renewable energy. Now, where the **** is my tax credit for it Democrats?

bluebosss197 and 03Sssnake like this.
  19. Makobra

Makobra Mostly Peaceful Established Member

the most efficient vehicle would use a generator to keep the smaller batteries charged and electric motors to move the vehicle.
    that's literally the best of both worlds, you'd use far less gas and get all the torque of EV's. you could even have the engine as just an auxiliary backup for long trips.

20. Blown 89

Chevy Volt does that. It runs 100% on EV on a small battery until you either tell it to run gas or it runs out of juice. Gen 1 (2011-2015) uses the motor as a generator, Gen 2 (2017-2019) uses the motor to drive the wheels directly. A lot of the used fleet vehicles never used the electric motors.

I just bought a 2017 with 12,800 miles on it and 11,200 of those miles were pure electric. It's a far cry from my CTS-V in terms of quality but GM started offering 0% financing on used EV's and they've depreciated so much I'm willing to give it a shot to take a chunk out of my $500 monthly gas bill and the exorbitant maintenance costs associated with it. I'll reserve the larger V for weekend family duty.