Glidden vs Shepherd - 1980 NHRA Championship

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
This is a great video which covers the 1980 Pro Stock NHRA championship. Lots of great classic footage from Diamond P Motorsports with interviews and the stories behind the season.

I got to spend some time with Bob Glidden back in the mid 80's when he showed up at a little drag strip in Louisiana to do some "testing". This track was not well known and not on the NHRA circuit. I had gone there to watch some local drag racing and here comes this big truck with Glidden & his car. Funny thing was he had pretty much no crew with him. He and one other guy were doing everything. I was able to talk to Bob throughout the day as he made multiple passes trying different tuning and suspension setups. He was the nicest pro NHRA guy I have ever met. Nothing like Don Prudhomme who was a total dick when I met him at the Cajun Nationals.

Enjoy some classic Ford Fairmont action from '80.

U.M.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Classic! When I met "The Snake" he was awesome, took the time to chat with me!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Classic! When I met "The Snake" he was awesome, took the time to chat with me!
You must have caught him on a good day. I had a local camera crew following my wife and I as I went from pit to pit getting autographs from the pro's. Don wouldn't even acknowledge me until he saw the cameras and then he refuses to talk until they promised he would be on the news. :rolleyes:

U.M.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Awesome vid!

Side note. Those cars leave the hole like shit lol

Users who are viewing this thread