Glad I dont own one.

SSWWRITE

Established Member
I like the look of the new muistang, but as with any ''new'' model you have the problems.

Saw this on Blue oval news todqay

Sources at one of Ford's engine plants told BlueOvalNews that Ford Motor Company has instructed assembly plants to stop shipping certain 2005 model year vehicles because they can contain defective 4.6L or 5.4L engines. The defective engines were manufactured by both the Windsor and Essex, Canada engine plants and were shipped to the following assembly plants: Michigan Truck, Kansas City Truck, Dearborn Truck, Norfolk Assembly, Kentucky Truck and Auto Alliance (Mustang).

The 2005 model year 4.6L and 5.4L engines in question were built with defective cylinder heads. According to sources, the defective cylinder heads will have an adverse effect on performance and will cause the engine to fail to meet Ford's specifications.

The products that can contain the defective engines include the 2005 Ford Mustang GT, 2005 F-Series, 2005 F-Series Super Duty, Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator. Ford has instructed the assembly plants to stop shipping vehicles until they are screened to see if they contain the defective engines.

It's not immediately clear if Ford will replace the entire engine at the assembly plant or just replace the defective cylinder heads and approve the vehicle for shipment to customers. At least one owner of a 2005 Mustang GT had their vehicle replaced due to a defective engine.

Whiskey City

Established Member
SSWWRITE said:
...snip...I like the look of the new mustang, but as with any ''new'' model you have the problems...snip...

That's the same 4.6L motor that's been around for years. The chassis and body are new, not the powertrain. So, the engine problem doesn't have anything to do with the "new" car.

SSWWRITE

Established Member
Whiskey City said:
That's the same 4.6L motor that's been around for years. The chassis and body are new, not the powertrain. So, the engine problem doesn't have anything to do with the "new" car.

Mustang’s new 4.6-liter, three-valve MOD V-8 has its roots in Ford’s modular engine family that spawned stalwarts like the F-150’s workhorse 5.4-liter Triton™ V-8s and the 6.8-liter V-10 found in Super Duty F-Series pickups.

i THOUGHT THE 3 VALVE WAS NEW???

:shrug: :shrug:

Whiskey City

Established Member
SSWWRITE said:
Mustang’s new 4.6-liter, three-valve MOD V-8 has its roots in Ford’s modular engine family that spawned stalwarts like the F-150’s workhorse 5.4-liter Triton™ V-8s and the 6.8-liter V-10 found in Super Duty F-Series pickups.

i THOUGHT THE 3 VALVE WAS NEW???

:shrug: :shrug:

I was wrong. The '04 has the 16v motor and the '05 has the 24v motor. Is it similar to the Mach1 powerplant? I guess what my point was that I didn't think that FMC made a "new" motor for the '05. I thought the powertrain was already in-house. That would dispell the whole "new car" part of your initial statement. If I'm wrong and it is a new powertrain then I apologize for not following my own sig... :smmon:

SSWWRITE

Established Member
Whiskey City said:
I was wrong. The '04 has the 16v motor and the '05 has the 24v motor. Is it similar to the Mach1 powerplant? I guess what my point was that I didn't think that FMC made a "new" motor for the '05. I thought the powertrain was already in-house. That would dispell the whole "new car" part of your initial statement. If I'm wrong and it is a new powertrain then I apologize for not following my own sig... :smmon:

No - Im not sure you are wrong - But i was not ''shooting my mouth '' lol - Just bored and saw that. Actually happened to be talking to someone about things like that. The ''new'' car issues that always seem to arise the first model year for just about any car maker out there. :shrug: :shrug:

Madhouse

warrior
Established Member
I hear what you're saying man, but I just can't be concerned with it. I mean, if my motor comes flying out of the engine bay tomorrow morning on the way to work, well, I guess I'll be a bit late for work. But it's not like Ford wouldn't fix the car. I'm not worried. I'm going to drive my car and enjoy it - if something happens to it, I'll deal with it then.

Like I said, I understand what you're saying, I just don't share the worries.

:thumbsup:

Whiskey City

Established Member
SSWWRITE said:
No - Im not sure you are wrong - But i was not ''shooting my mouth '' lol - Just bored and saw that. Actually happened to be talking to someone about things like that. The ''new'' car issues that always seem to arise the first model year for just about any car maker out there. :shrug: :shrug:

I'm the one with the empty gun:p

Year-1 cars do tend to have some bugs. Just bought the wifie an '05 Odyssey Van with a crappy ABS module. It has this all-new stability wizzbang that, well, fell flat on it's face. It's back in the shop for the third time in less than 30 days. They think they've got it licked now. We'll see. The good thing is that they are taking care of it with free rentals, etc.

One thing I have learned about year-1 cars that you may not have thought about though is that they are usually the versions loaded with expensive materials, electronic features, paint jobs and noise reduction stuff. It's usually sometime midway through the second production year that the Cost Reduction Engineers emerge from their hole and swarm all over the vehicle. The Explorer has been cost reduced by thousands/vehicle since it's launch in '01. Most of it the customer never "sees" but believe me, when they cut costs, some quality goes with it.

I can tell you for an almost absolute certainty that the Mustang will be cost reduced, especially in the NVH area, some time before the '07 model. That particular vendor has lots of $/vehicle that are like a ripe plumb to the C/R Vultures.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Not the old 'head' problem bullshit again from BON. That is an anti-ford site with by far more inaccuracy then truth. EVERY single release of a modular equipped car has had a BON report on deffective engines. Every one. The last one was with the 05 F-series not being released yet because of it which I read only minutes after helping unload a couple truckloads of them. BON is the NY Times of the autoworld, and Ford is Bush. I swear it looks like the EXACT same thing stated in the F series version. That guy is at odds with ford and has done this stuff for years. 99% chance he is the 'source'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread