Give me feedback on engine/power adder options

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
I'm planning my new engine build this winter and I'm just looking for opinions on what direction to go. The car is 90% street, I could go either way on keeping it manual or going auto, and I can't decide which direction to go with the power adder or engine. Hopefully some light can be shed on pricing and results. FYI I will run E85 and meth.

What i'm currently looking at

-99/00 Lightning engine swap with 2v heads
-built block with turbo/F1a and 98 cobra c heads
-5.4 block with kenne bell 2.1 and 98 cobra b heads (would spin up to 15lbs.)

Any other opinions are welcome, as of now I'm just looking for new ideas in a direction I could go. Btw this is all going in a 98 Cobra.

Last edited:

Chances50

Established Member
Big bore stroker shortblock, 03/04 4v heads, 99/01 Cobra ported intake, custom cams and f1a. that would be a wicked setup. But not very cheap.lol

But out of the options you listed build the stock shortblock and put a turbo kit on it. ALOT simpler than messing with a 5.4 swap and would make ALOT more power than a 2V 5.4 would.

pacific4v

Established Member
First off 98 cobras have b heads, not c heads. Secondly if your running e85 there shouldn't be any need to run meth as well. In fact Im almost 100% sure you don't want to mix meth with e85.

What car are u building?

Either way if your for sure running e85 then take full advantage of it and build a high compression, boosted motor. Look at my Sig. I have stock heads, cams, and intake(with imrc deletes) and should be close to 600rwhp with a little s-trim making around 11-13psi once i get my maf problem fixed. Just do plenty of research on what's needed to run e85 on a car making 600rwhp+

02blownGT

Established Member
Built bottom end, high comp if using E85,Turbo,Auto with a manual valve body,Size of the motor doesnt matter as long as the top end breathes good.Will be a blast on the street and dangerous at the strip.

pacific4v

Established Member
How high compression is "to high compression" with forced induction?

Just depends on what fuel ur using, if its intercooled, meth inj, how much boost, etc. My motor is just a hair over 11:1 compression and runs great on 10psi and e85.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
Just depends on what fuel ur using, if its intercooled, meth inj, how much boost, etc. My motor is just a hair over 11:1 compression and runs great on 10psi and e85.

Already said I was running e85 and meth. Just curious if I could get away at 14:1 comp, and 10 pounds boost.

pacific4v

Established Member
yea I wouldn't venture much higher than 11:1. Flat top pistons with stock stroke shoud net around 10.5:1, which would still make really good power with low boost. 14:1 and 10psi would make for a beast.

Users who are viewing this thread