Getting rid of brake rust

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
There's this horrific circle of rust where the brake pads don't touch the rotors.
What kind of sand paper should i use and how can I prevent the rust from comming back?
Or what else could I use instead of sand paper? :shrug:

cobracide

Established Member
Replace your brake rotors with ones that have special plating or coating like zinc or cadmium. My solution front and back:

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/sn95brakeparts.htm

HDpair.jpg

cobracide

Established Member
I love those brakes, but man, they're rich.

I hear ya $$, go for a two piece design so the center hub will stay free of rust better than a one piece plus it looks great. Drilled will most likely crack so stay slotted, also looks good without the possibility of cracking.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Thanks fellas, that'll be a future project. But right now I need a quick fix. Any recomendations?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I just got done with my rear rotors using metal rescue, I got my order in less than a week.

Metal Rescue - Home

It removed pretty much all of the rust on one rotor and almost all on the other. What it did do that I like is darken the metal to near black, this black coating acts as a rust inhibitor. It looks so much better as black than the rusty untreated look they had before. I will definitely recommend sanding as much of the rust off as possible before soaking and wait for a warm day to treat your rotors. All in all I am satisfied with this treatment but expected better results.

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
I just got done with my rear rotors using metal rescue, I got my order in less than a week.

Metal Rescue - Home

It removed pretty much all of the rust on one rotor and almost all on the other. What it did do that I like is darken the metal to near black, this black coating acts as a rust inhibitor. It looks so much better than black than the rusty untreated look they had before. I will definitely recommend sanding as much of the rust off as possible before soaking and wait for a warm day to treat your rotors. All in all I am satisfied with this treatment but expected better results.

thank you, i will look into this

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I use Shark Hide. I got it from Eastwood. Just clean the metal, then wipe a thin film of this stuff on. It dries very quickly, and doesn't let any corrosion form. It works great on mine. It's meant for the marine industry, so it's definitely good enough for your brake rotors!

Also, I have 2-piece Baer rotors, and just know that the pad does not go all the way to the center hat. So even if you get 2-piece rotors, you should use this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread