Getting ready to change my Third FRTOB, need some advice

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Need a little input here.
My Ox 03 Cobra has had a bad Ford Racing HD TOB(2nd FRTOB) for the last 2 years and I have driven it off and on while in Grad school. My question is should I be able to get away with just replacing it or is there a chance other damage has occured to perhaps my Lethal Performance Sleeve, clutch fork, or anything else?
I just want to have all the parts in stock when I'm ready to change it out.

Current setup for the last 3 years
Spec 3+ (26 spline)
HD Ford Racing TOB
Lethal Performance Steel Sleeve
Ford Pilot Bearing
MM microclick adjuster
UPR Triple Hook (with Ford clutch cable on middle hook)

SlowSVT

Established Member
Get a new pilot bearing...............ALWAYS!

As long as you don't break anything that's all you should need. The clutch disc is still good?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Sounds great, I'll get another pilot bearing. Any reason why the clutch disc should be bad?
Clutch has 10,000 miles

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'd just throw a new tob in and be done. You should try one of the other brands and see if it lasts, like the centerforce or mcleod ones.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm just wondering if a bad TOB for a while could damage the lethal performance steel sleeve or anything else?

ctgreddy

Established Member
it depends how bad it's got. If it's just making some noise I wouldn't worry about the sleeve. If it makes some naaasty noises and if the pedal doesn't feel smooth I may suspect something else may be damaged.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm just wondering if a bad TOB for a while could damage the lethal performance steel sleeve or anything else?

As long as the TOB slide smoothly on the tube and is a precision fit you will be OK.

As far as the disc goes it all depends how you used the clutch. Some people will get many 10's of thousands of miles on one or you could burn one up in an evening. Once you remove it you will see how much friction material is left.

Jefe

Established Member
Are you spacing the TOB out at all?

Looked into the hydraulic conversion?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Are you spacing the TOB out at all?

Looked into the hydraulic conversion?

I would stick with the cable clutch which will be more reliable and simpler. On our sport bikes we converted from hydraulic to cable which provided better "feel" and was faster acting.

Dilley

Established Member
It's your clutch. I'm on my 4th frpp TOB in three years. A member on here, Malcomv8, enlightened me to the issue. He is on his third and went to the rxt. I'm either doing that our seeing if it is cheaper to have a clutch made for me.l

Users who are viewing this thread