Getting paid to go to school?

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Around here they are requiring nurses that only have a two year degree to go back and get their bachelor's but are not paying the loans. They are getting a small amount reimbursed and are not getting raises either.

Changing careers is easier said than done, I am 38 and have a family. I have a bachelor's degree in business admin as well as an ASE master certification in my corner. I have put in for some manager/supervisory positions but didn't get them due to lack of experience. I am beginning to wonder if it is just this state that is behind the times.

Yeah its the same thing down here, but in high need areas that no one wants to work they are paying top dollar and paying loans to get nurses in there. They usually make you stay 2 years and cover up to 75% of your loan payoffs

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
FWIW plenty of places have been paying for student loans for nurses because of their shortage.

My wife has been a nurse for about 15 years, she was paid back then to go to school.

Join a union...

I know I know “**** unions!!!” But that’s where the money is.

I'm a union chemical worker, I'd never make what I do if my company wasn't union. It has it's pros and cons, but I can't complain about the money.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
My wife has been a nurse for about 15 years, she was paid back then to go to school.

I'm a union chemical worker, I'd never make what I do if my company wasn't union. It has it's pros and cons, but I can't complain about the money.

Mine is going back to get her Nurse Practioner and they're reimbursing her

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

Big money there. My wife has tossed around the idea of doing that too. We live very comfortable, and she's settled in a pretty good paying job for a Kaiser out-patient office as a non-benefited nurse which puts her at more per hour than I make on OT.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Big money there. My wife has tossed around the idea of doing that too. We live very comfortable, and she's settled in a pretty good paying job for a Kaiser out-patient office as a non-benefited nurse which puts her at more per hour than I make on OT.

She is tired of bedside nursing and wants to do something different

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife is a nurse too and the bedside nursing is getting too much. They don’t have the staffing because the higher ups want a certain ratio of patients to nurses. We are in a good position because she is with the kids all week and only has to work one night a week. I am hoping when the kids get older she can transition out of being a bed side nurse and get into something better for her skills and education.

CV355

_
Established Member
$50k to go to school? I had to dig for change to pay for either gas or lunch for my first 2 years of college, and I was working 40 hours a week on top of 12-14 credit hours per semester. I still have my old savings account passbooks- showed my wife the other day- it fluctuated from like $10 to $45 every week, until May or December, and then it would jump back up only to get obliterated at the book store.

I want off this ride.

Easy times make weak people.

ZEN357

Established Member
I just read an article about how our county commissioners are wanting to pay students to go to school and enter the apprenticeship program at our community college. They will be given $50k a year to learn a skill or trade. I am not sure if businesses will be paying for this or tax payers. The program is called learn as you earn. When I was going to school it was called have a job while going to school, what in the hell is going on these days.

When I was in school all they did was push college on us. I went to a state college and got a degree in Business Administration/Computer Information Systems. I have had a very good career making good money and my college at the time only cost me $8,000 for four years which has been paid off for almost 22 years. Now people are finding out college is a racket and a total money making scheme and the schools are no pushing trade schools because we don't have enough mechanical people coming out of High School. The cost of College is a total joke now! $10,000+ per semester, I don't think so!!!!

CV355

_
Established Member
When I was in school all they did was push college on us. I went to a state college and got a degree in Business Administration/Computer Information Systems. I have had a very good career making good money and my college at the time only cost me $8,000 for four years which has been paid off for almost 22 years. Now people are finding out college is a racket and a total money making scheme and the schools are no pushing trade schools because we don't have enough mechanical people coming out of High School. The cost of College is a total joke now! $10,000+ per semester, I don't think so!!!!

Where my wife attended college for her first two years was $26k per semester. When we got married, she transferred to Clemson, which is right down the road from us (unfortunately, since I despise football culture)

$26k. That's like taking on 8 car payments for a Bachelor's degree. And it's so inflated with unrelated garbage courses. I had to take BS classes for an engineering degree. Probably 40% of the classes are completely unrelated to what I actually do for a living (not even remotely applicable). One course, we were force-fed books by Michael Moore because the professor was a hardcore liberal. Tell me how that's unbiased education...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Down here the non union plants are better than the union plants. Almost all of them.
I know 1 union plant where the hourly rate is a little better but the rest of the benefits are worse.
In my 22 years of experience, Unions suck.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

My wife has been an NP for about 3 years now. Good stuff.

She teaches at the school she got her first two degrees from. Salaried, pays okay but she loves the work.

She also works part time to maintain practice hours and makes more on straight time than I do on OT.

She’s going for her Doctorate at Rush/Duke or some other smart person school very soon.

Bottom line: Send them to school... it’ll pay off.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Oil... industry ...

We are hurting for bodies.. every single day.

We can’t hire enough people.

Get your CDL and hazmat. Be home every night... owner operators make more. But I pay my company guys $350 a day, insurance 401k, PTO. Etc

Hell my owner operators make $1200 a day usually. Take out fuel money.. it’s not bad.

That’s just to drive a truck, and load oil

I know pipeline companies are paying guys 110k a year to weld pipelines.

I mean the jobs are legitimately endless. Sure it’ll slow down.. but as always it’ll pick back up

blownstang4.6

Established Member
What field and in what part of the country?

I live in a right to work state and I don't know of any mechanic unions around here.

It's killer money for someone right out of the program. For a 35 year old in the trades and union, I'd say it might be a little below average.

blownstang4.6

Established Member

Mine has been a nurse for 2 years and is going back to get her FNP in January. Her job is reimbursing her pennies. I think like $2k a semester. The two year program is $30k so not that expensive. In our area an FNP makes $40-$60k over what a nurse makes ($60k). The salary differential equates to an extra $1,000,000+ earned over your lifetime.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I have a bachelors. Got offered to join the BMW apprentice program a month before I went to my 4 year (I was 21). Should've taken it. Would've gotten to go to Stuttgart and learn for 6 months, then paid well at our local dealership in the AC. No loan debt. No anything.

CV355

_
Established Member
Down here the non union plants are better than the union plants. Almost all of them.
I know 1 union plant where the hourly rate is a little better but the rest of the benefits are worse.

Unions... I had a fairly small project a few years back (~$400k-ish) which required a 2-3 day installation. Due to union requirements, our guys weren't allowed to do certain tasks, so when time came for said task to be completed, they had to find some lazy slug sitting on a park bench to come over, turn ONE screw, then go back to sitting on a park bench. Yes, park bench, in the facility. The guy sat there for 7 out of 8 hours, just playing on his phone. *edit* Dang I forgot the best part. Because of the union requirements, it dragged out install 3 days and since it was T&M billable, we had to send the cost to the customer who was furious about it. Well, that what happens when you delay things for stupid reasons.

The amount of stupid, lazy, backwards, inefficient BS I've seen makes me want to give up on society, entirely.

Last edited:

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
It’s crazy how different people see unions. Guess it’s area dependent. People around here that are in them can’t say enough good things about them. My brother rants and raves how good his benefits are and $48.74 and hour isn’t bad either plus endless double time..

Coiled03

Established Member
It’s crazy how different people see unions. Guess it’s area dependent. People around here that are in them can’t say enough good things about them. My brother rants and raves how good his benefits are and $48.74 and hour isn’t bad either plus endless double time..

People who need unions - those with no marketable skills outside what the union does - love unions. Everyone else recognizes they do nothing but hold people back, and reward mediocrity.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I have my CDL’s just got it renewed. I tend to agree about the unions being a haven for some that can’t get a job doing anything else or even the job they currently have for the money they are making. I work at a municipality garage and see this every day. We are not union but it is almost impossible to get fired here and the employees take advantage of that fact.

madscotsman

Established Member
I am an RN and left bedside (psych) nursing 15 years ago. Since then I have worked in healthcare IT, utilizing my nursing knowledge and make almost 3x what I did at the bedside. I applied for the public service student loan forgiveness program last year (Wife saw an article about it online somewhere). You have to work for a non-profit to qualify (there is a list of professions that qualify). Long of the short is I give EDFinancial copies of mine and my wife's W2's each year and they decide how much I have to pay monthly for that year, based on our income. After 10 years with no late/missed payments on this progarm, the remaining balance (interest) on my student loans are forgiven. In the end I will still be paying more than 2x what I borrowed initially (graduated in 2001), but MAYBE one day my student loans will be paid off. Just made my wife's last loan payment (250/mo), and we're paying around 700/mo now for my loans.

Users who are viewing this thread