Getting more height from jack stands

SilverNotch

Established Member
Anybody have suggestions for safely adding more height to jack stands? I’m removing my transmission to replace tob and would like to be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
I agree. Just did mine on the regular ones and it wasn't too bad. I might spring for the bigger ones someday. Harbor freight has them.

Real98roush

Established Member
Just did mine on standard height jack stands. Was plenty of room and I’m not what is considered small, by any stretch. LOL
1f215703c0226b3c3a719b67e5df9d49.jpg

100627e2e2ed06374c7723e78ec2121c.jpg

IG: @sn95mystic

SVTP: SN95 Rollercoaster

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Just did mine on standard height jack stands. Was plenty of room and I’m not what is considered small, by any stretch. LOL

Any way to get the trans out from under the car? It looks like it is stuck in the tunnel.

Real98roush

Established Member
Any way to get the trans out from under the car? It looks like it is stuck in the tunnel.

The car wasn’t high enough to slide the transmission on the jack, so I took it off the jack and put in on a small piece of old carpet and slid it out.

Rambro

Established Member
I helped a friend with a t56 and if I remember correctly we took it out of the trans cradle to get it out from underneath the car. You really shouldn't have a problem man handling a t56. Just use that svtp strengf.

MG0h3

Established Member
I have the same exact jack and no, the trans won't come out. I just left it on the jack and slid it back as far as possible between the tails.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Buy some 6-Ton jackstands from HF. They are tall and cheap and safe. Putting blocks of wood under small jack stands?? ...come on... your life is at stake.

Use wheel chocks if you aren’t getting all 4 wheels off the ground.

Rambro

Established Member
Blocks of wood under the tires is a good idea. Ive been meaning to try that. I hate being underneath a car but all anxiety goes away once im under there for a bit. Md dad always tells me he's never seen a jack stand fail, and I haven't either in all my 35 years.

hotcobra03

Established Member
we lost a member..car fell on him..

I hate stands..

I use old rims..and set under wheel..car will never fall..

did my tob under car..

when I had to do bearing retainer.just jack a little more in front I was able to slide trans on floor jack..I strap trans to jack..

Rambro

Established Member
Wasn't there somthing more to that story. I don't remember but i thought there something else going on when it fell. Like it wasnt on stands or he had it too high.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Right. I have always had wheels under the car when I under it with stands. It might be redundant... but better than dead.

Khan

BANNED STOCK BRAKE PADS GURU
Established Member
Get taller jack stands (HF) and slide tires/rims under subframe. /thread. Unless your life is worth $42.

Users who are viewing this thread