Getting An Alignment

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
i will finally be aligning the cobra this week after lowering it. What are some good specs to go by mainly for tire ware? Factory specs or something different? Ive heard set the rear camber to 0 which i know isnt factory. Any thoughts on this?

Juruense

Banned
I would be more worried about where in the hell you are going to be able to get a lowered Cobra aligned... They should know the specs but finding a shop that can do it and do it well is likely going to be difficult.

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
i used to work as a mechanic at a ford dealership, i would like to think they should be able to do it. I just didnt know if anyone was using some other specs other than factory

WDW MKR

Established Member
ShelbyGuy and the other corner carvers have some good specs posted on here, but they are not fun on the street. I took some of my own specs to the local shop I use. All of the technicians have race cars and are very knowledgable. When I showed him the specs, he suggest I tone it down. I pushed on and now the car is less friendly. I'm all for performance, but you have to be honest with yourself when it comes to stuff like this. I'm taking it back after getting new tires and having him tone it down to the "street performance" settings he recommended. They're a bit more aggressive than the factory specs.

Just make sure you take it to a qaulity shop and tell them what the car will be used for. They should have enough know-how to recommend something based on that. Of course, this is all assuming you actually have a shop with such knowledge. Alignment is one of the very few things I have to let someone else do, so it's a blessing to have a good shop.

mustang john

Established Member
The biggest problem is not aligning a lowered car its getting it on the alignment rack without tearing up the underside of the car. I just aligned RaceRats car and it just barely cleared the ramps onto our new Hunter machine, once on the machine it was just a matter of doing the adjustments.

rustang

Used but not abused much
Established Member
make sure they don't scratch your strut towers when removing the rivets that came factory on the plates on top,, like the place that i took my car too, which they forgot to tellme about until i found it myself, but i got it fixed at their expense which made me feel better.

rustang

Used but not abused much
Established Member
make sure they don't scratch your strut towers when removing the rivets that came factory on the plates on top,, like the place that i took my car too, which they forgot to tellme about until i found it myself, but i got it fixed at their expense which made me feel better.

Snakebite2k3

Pray For The Dead To Rise
Established Member
crap.....now i dont want to lower my car. :( can i get away with lowering the car with H&R race springs using the stock isos and no alignment??

WDW MKR

Established Member
Definitely not recommended. You shouldn't be scared of getting an alignment. Matter of fact, most of these cars our out from the factory. Just do your research to ensure you use a quality shop.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Ike does your car not self-center after turning? Thats the only thing I recommend going beyond factory (caster). I dont use an alignment rack to set up the car, i use tire temps so I have no idea what my specs are. I set toe with a piece of string and a tape measurer.

WDW MKR

Established Member
What's a tape "measurer"? Is that the guy holding the tape measure? :-D
Just giving you a hard time! :beer:

Car seems to self-center pretty well, but I haven't really paid much attention to it. The biggest thing I notice about my current alignment is the car being more "darty". Part of that may be due to the weight lost off the front end with the aluminum block and other things. I know my craptastic F1s on the front cause a slight pull. I plan to take it back in for another alignment when I get new tires.

04SLOBRA1

RESPECT IS EARNED
Established Member
Our cars alignment from the factory is way out of wack. Ford has large tolerances for our beasts. When I installed my mm grip box/ cc plates and H&R race springs I talked to the guys at Maximum Motorsports and we discussed how the car would be used and I set up my car to their recommended specs - the car feels great and doesn't wear tires abnormally.
Then again the rears dont last long and I don't know why.

sonic cobra

Established Member
With MM Caster/camber plates and coil-overs I'm lowered 1/2"in front and 1 1/4" in back. I'm running 1.3* neg camber with 5.3*caster and 1/16" toe in for the front. rear is 1.1* neg camber with 1/16" toe in. Thrust is 0 Handles great and no unusual tire wear in 12000 miles

mustangsvtblack

Established Member
picked the car up today. a guy i know opened an alignment shop of his own and has all the newest stuff from hunter. He told me i wouldn't need C/C plates so i didnt get them. He had me get a set of camber adj. bolts and the car i set exactly to specs. before the lowering my car had a slight pull, now it drives straight down the road.

svt99rag

Established Member
mine isnt lowered but I had mine aligned at the dealer, they were actually the cheapest around by about $30

WDW MKR

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
they have a listing for 'irregardless' too and thats a non-word if there ever was one. nice try, though :D

Nice try? Hmm... I still sense disbelief! ;-) We both know irregardless isn't a proper word. Neither is ain't, but it's still a part of the ever-changing English language that never makes sense. Measure is actually defined as both a noun and verb.

Having sold tape measures and every other tool during my high school and college years, I can say that they are almost always labeled as a "tape measure". I have only seen "measurer" on very rare occasions from generic manufacturers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread