Getting AFS 18x9 03 Cobra Wheels Powdercoated

Wade_GT

Established Member
So as many experience, the clear coat finish on my AFS 03 Cobra 18x9s is pretty much gone. I've had them since 2004 and decided I like the design enough to keep them and refinish them.

photo_2.jpg

I'm dropping the car off tomorrow and going for a "flat gunmetal" look. See Porsche GT3 pic below from the LA Auto Show I'm using for inspiration.

2013+la+auto+show+050.JPG

I'll send some better before and after pictures when I pick up the car this Friday.

-Wade

Last edited:

Wade_GT

Established Member
Here are more "Before" photos of my wheels.
photo+1.JPG

photo+2.JPG

And here is sample wheel color I selected at the shop which has a mild satin finish which I preferred over a glossy finish.
efjxtK1VSgDVt_u-SV9axZq8cCXdDqOsnctsgRXc4pQ=w875-h656-no

Wade_GT

Established Member
Thanks Greg. The shop charged me $150 per wheel which includes tire dismount, storing my car on a rack for 4 days, powder coating, and tire remount and balance.

Wade_GT

Established Member
Got the car back late so all I have is an iphone pic in the dark.

For anyone considering this, gunmetal grey is tough to match. It came out lighter than I expected, plus the shop painted over my Ford Racing Center caps which was not part of the arrangement!!! So needless to say I got a significant invoice adjustment.

I plan on picking up some black SVT center caps and black acorn lug nuts to make it work. After that, I'll lower the front and back half an inch for a little better stance and maybe some 1/8" spacers in the rear.

image+%252815%2529.jpeg

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Let me know if you need anything else done. I've got a perfect match to gunmetal. Could have saved you a couple bucks too, even with shipping.

Are you happy with them?

ShapeShifter

Established Member
hmmm, not bad at all(thought they'd be way darker) but the color matching center cap is throwing it off for me...should look great after the new center caps!

nice car!

Wade_GT

Established Member
Thanks shapeshifter. Black SVT center caps and black lug nuts are on the way so I'm hoping that ties it together better.

Wade_GT

Established Member
As I mentioned, I wasn't crazy about the look with painted center caps and chrome lug nuts..
photo+1+%25282%2529.JPG

But I'm pretty happy with the results after switching to SVT center caps (from ebay) and black lug nuts from AmericanMuscle.com:
photo+3.JPG

CPgOfVhSF1Hlo5rTp77Yp_RwkW5oGIPK6Yb1FZD11hM=w1018-h763-no

Wade_GT

Established Member
I ended up getting a discount. $500 total for dismount, powder coat, re-mount / balance. May seem high, but I got quotes as high as $800 here in Los Angeles.

spyderman

Established Member
My thoughts exactly. I Paid $40/wheel dropped off. Even taking the wheels off myself, dropping them off and having a reputable tire installer do the tire labor, it was still cheaper that $600.

You paid $600 for that?

$150 a wheel?

Users who are viewing this thread