Getting a bunch of misfire codes

benzopyrene

Established Member
Just installed a Tremec T56 magnum XL and ARH long tube headers with high flow cats. I originally had 2 rear O2 sensor codes which I expected and a misfire code for cylinder 4. I returned my steeda tune back to stock and took it to a shop with have the whole crank sensor relearned. After I got it back I reinstalled steeda tune....this hasnt been updated to go with all my new mods, but wanted to drive the car a little before I get it dyno'd. No problems for about 30 miles and then I started getting misfires allover the place. Cylinder 4, 7, 3. Just curious if you guys have any suggestions. Im hoping the tune is the issue, but concerned it might be something else. I did use 1 O2 sensor extension for rear passenger side because my harness would not reach my headers, but considering removing that and soldering wire in to make my own extension. Love the new feel, but now concerned that Im not going to be able to keep the car running without a check engine light on. Any suggestions are welcome? Thanks.

benzopyrene

Established Member
Completely unclipped from the tranny and it still didnt reach the rear passenger side, so thats why I used it. But gotta see if there is another clip on the engine I didnt see when I did it all.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
They will always reach. Just need to stretch it the extensions for these cars are horrible and a known problem.

tj@steeda

Established Member
Ben,

It is best to call our tuning dept. at 1-800-950-0774.

It is hard to tell what may be taking place without knowing the codes that were thrown.

Best Regards,

TJ

SCalla1384

Established Member
Definitely dont use extensions. They're known to have issues.

On a another note, this doesn't apply to me. My 2v, when I did a mid pipe the harness wouldn't reach, I just spliced and extended the wiring. Can you so the same with these cars? I don't see how it could cause an issue. Just making the wire a couple inches longer??

drh_5.0

Established Member
I had a ton of problems with o2 extension harnesses. I couldn't seem to reach the harness to unclip it from the tranny but I found another fix to the problem. I never ended up having cylinder misfire codes from the extensions but like 5+ different codes for Bank 1 AND/OR Bank 2sensors being to lean/rich or a bad circuit....all these and the car idled and ran like GARBAGE...i mean the worse I ever seen or heard a car run. Hard bucking, felt like it wanted to stall, etc.

OP, do some research on the Ford Raptor o2 sensors, even try to get a factory P/N for those and your current O2's. You will see the P/N is nearly the exact same (think Raptors have an extra letter or number) I ended up doing this and bought some from Rock Auto for a lot cheaper than Ford sells them. After I popped them on, they completely fixed all issues and no codes thrown since....just about 2k miles!

**ALSO I think you only actually need 1 of the Raptor sensors, believe it was the drivers side that I couldnt get to reach until I installed it. Factory one will reach passenger side.

If you try the Raptor sensors let me know if it fixes your problem.

Last edited:

FL Steve

Established Member
I had a ton of problems with o2 extension harnesses. I couldn't seem to reach the harness to unclip it from the tranny but I found another fix to the problem. I never ended up having cylinder misfire codes from the extensions but like 5+ different codes for Bank 1 AND/OR Bank 2sensors being to lean/rich or a bad circuit....all these and the car idled and ran like GARBAGE...i mean the worse I ever seen or heard a car run. Hard bucking, felt like it wanted to stall, etc.

OP, do some research on the Ford Raptor o2 sensors, even try to get a factory P/N for those and your current O2's. You will see the P/N is nearly the exact same (think Raptors have an extra letter or number) I ended up doing this and bought some from Rock Auto for a lot cheaper than Ford sells them. After I popped them on, they completely fixed all issues and no codes thrown since....just about 2k miles!

**ALSO I think you only actually need 1 of the Raptor sensors, believe it was the drivers side that I couldnt get to reach until I installed it. Factory one will reach passenger side.

If you try the Raptor sensors let me know if it fixes your problem.

I had this exact same problem a few weeks ago! Had to replace both sensors and ditched the passenger o2 extension. Still running the driver side extension and would rather not unclip the harness from the tranny. Sounds like a pain in the ass so the raptor sensor on the drivers side might be the fix for me. Thanks for sharing man. I'm definitely gonna do that.

Users who are viewing this thread