Get a GT500 or keep the cobra?

zredfire04

Established Member
I know of an unspoken for 2021 GT500 on order, and the dealer doesn't do ridiculous $10-20k ADM like a lot of places.

Since I barely drive the terminator I have, there's no reason for me to keep it and buy a 500.

If I keep the terminator, I'm going to swap the blower and upgrade the fuel system. Likely a gen3r on e85. It needs a paint job and some other minor issues fixed as well. Will end up with as much or more HP as the gt500.

I'm torn on which way to go.

If you had a line on a gt500 @ MSRP would you get it or keep your cobra?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Depends. Like a dual clutch auto or rowing gears? If you barely drive what you have now why would you spend mid 80k for something to set? Really comes down to what you’re willing to afford and what would you rather drive.

zredfire04

Established Member
I'm kinda tired of the third pedal TBH.

It's def a tough call, which if nothing else speaks to the appeal of the cobra.

Badaz01

Established Member
If I could afford a gt500 I’d probably be able to afford to keep both as they are both badass cars. But if I had to pick I would keep the cobra and build it to the hilt it’ll make more power than the 500 and you’ll have less invested. Just my .02

zredfire04

Established Member
It's not about affording to keep them both. I have too many vehicles lol, and no sense in me keeping the cobra if i get the 500. I could pass the cobra on to someone else who would drive it and enjoy it.

Badaz01

Established Member
It's not about affording to keep them both. I have too many vehicles lol, and no sense in me keeping the cobra if i get the 500. I could pass the cobra on to someone else who would drive it and enjoy it.
True but they are only going way up in value it would definitely be a better investment to kee it then.

zredfire04

Established Member
I doubt mine will ever be a highly valued car. It's almost at 100K miles right now, and missing many original parts. It's a driver, not a collector piece.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would only keep the Cobra if it's a car you absolutely don't want to part with. There are folks who absolutely love their Terminator and would never part with it. Most of them have other daily drivers allowing them to keep the Terminator for weekend drives.

The 2003-2004 Cobra and 2021 GT-500 are WAY apart from an engineering/quality standpoint. Remember, your 2004 Cobra is 17 years old! Pretty much everything on the 2021 GT-500 is vastly improved compared to your Cobra. If it was my own personal choice, I'd go with the GT-500 hands down. If you're on the fence and can keep both, that's an option, although yours is a high mileage "driver". Sounds like you drive it quite a bit, based on your mileage, so you might welcome selling it and buying the superior GT-500.

@ArabianOak just bought a GT-500 and really loves it. If you haven't seen his read, click on the link below. His comments might swing you to a decision.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I have the built car you talk of doing. 2.9 on e85 tuned by 04 sleeper. It's a ton of fun. It's fast. fast enough for the street.

I'll be honest I couldn't sell this car. Too much invested and I like it to much. Still have more plans for it. New paint, custom interior...ect

Now if I had a new gt350 or 500. I feel I would drive those way more. I bet they handle better and have more comforts. I would probably leave one of those pretty stock. My wife would also drive a newer one. (She won't touch the 04).

Idk if the others can chime in When you build a car your more careful were you drive it, park it and leave it. Every squeak or rattle gets a full investigation.

I would pick based on whatever you would drive more.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Sounds like you already made your mind up. Sell it and get one. I love my terminator, hands down if I could afford a 21 GT500 I’d get one and sell my 04 Cobra. I love the terminator they will always be special to me. After riding in a friends 20 GT500 I can’t say enough good things about it. They flat out hook and the DCT is awesome. I would advise if you do sell wait until the spring this isn’t the time of year to sell a terminator imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You're going to get biased opinions in this forum. As you would in the GT500 forum as well.

Go drive the GT500 and decide from there. No other way to do it really.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
It depends on how much time/effort you have into the cobra. I sold my 11 gt500 with around 25k in mods all done myself. That was the only hard part letting the car go. To get one for msrp is a screaming deal though. The one by me has a 30k adm so you could basically drive the car free for a year minus taxes. I've had two s550s my current 6r80 gen3r car is stupid fast. Would be somewhat comparable to the new gt500 other then nicer seats and some different exterior panels. I have way more fun driving the cobra though. I see so many guys drive the gt500 a year then sell them. FB page is flooded with those but if your not firmly attached then I say try it.

zredfire04

Established Member
So far, I've done the following:

rebuilt a T56 for it
Full urethane rear suspension
Rebuilt rear end with eaton true trac

I've paid for some other stuff to be done as well, but nothing major.

I think the best thing for me to do is proceed with making the cobra what I want it to be and put in an order for a 2022 GT500 with the color and options I want from the dealership I've been talking with. The one they have coming isn't the color I want, and they can't change it...not sure about the other options they ordered.

504SVTCOBRA

Established Member
So far, I've done the following:

rebuilt a T56 for it
Full urethane rear suspension
Rebuilt rear end with eaton true trac

I've paid for some other stuff to be done as well, but nothing major.

I think the best thing for me to do is proceed with making the cobra what I want it to be and put in an order for a 2022 GT500 with the color and options I want from the dealership I've been talking with. The one they have coming isn't the color I want, and they can't change it...not sure about the other options they ordered.
R

ArabianOak

Established Member
Going from the terminator cobra to the new gt500 is going to feel like aliens abducted you, gave you their technology and sent you back to earth with it. It's going to feel that far ahead of the termi.

There isn't one category that the shelby isn't ages ahead in...power, interior, looks, technology etc etc etc. I would argue that the transmission in the shelby alone would be reason enough to get one, it's that good!

The icing on the cake is you can now get very lightly used gt500's for sticker or near sticker. I have one local that I almost bought over mine. Here is the link.

Terminator Destroyer

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Getting to drive a late model GT-500 is a smart idea so that you can really compare the two, but it would be very difficult to find a 2021 to test drive as they sell so quickly (new). But certainly a used 2020 test drive would be good. But, it sounds like you're set on keeping your Terminator and ordering a 2022 GT-500.

What color is the 2022 that your dealer has coming?

zredfire04

Established Member
I might be able to convince them to let me drive the new one they have coming in, which is carbonized gray with black roof. It's a 21 model afaik.

I want twisted orange with black stripes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely worth test driving if you’ve never driven one before.

Users who are viewing this thread