Gen 3 Viper owners inside

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
beginning the search to replaced my beloved 5.0. always been a Viper fan, and now the gen 3 and some gen 4s are now in my budget(sub 45K).

from what i can find, looks no real issues to speak of? but id like to hear from some owners or those with direct experiences with them.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Save a little more and get the gen IV. That +08 hood is all the rage. paintless302 knows whats up, the +08 Vipers are just better, and you gotta figure, these cars are getting old. But there are a few low mile gems just sleeping in a garage.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to a 650rwhp+ car, you need to get a GEN III. If you aren't going to throw major mods at it, get a GEN IV.

I have mine as modded as it gets on the stock motor and it's right at 640rwhp.

The Viper is a different beast. I love mine, I'd have a hard time going back to a Mustang of any sort.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cbj5259

Established Member
I have a Gen 3 and came from a 2013 Boss 302. Some things to think about and consider...these cars drive completely different, handle different, sound different, etc. The stock exhaust note on these cars sounds terrible. The Mustang sounds way better in stock form. At higher RPM it does have a nice sound but you pretty much have to get it up over 3500 rpm...at idle it just sounds bad. So if you are expecting a nice V10 rumble you will be disappointed unless you go aftermarket.

It has very "long legs" for gears...3.07s. You can hit 60 in 1st gear but it doesn't have that down low "pull" feeling like an s197 or even an sn95 has in 1st gear...but it will pull like a freight train once you get into the revs. Don't be concerned if hear a lot of "lifter noise" it's common. At idle it sounds like an industrial sewing machine sometimes.

As was mentioned above, if you are planning to mod or go FI then gen 3 is the way to go. If you want to leave it stock and still have great power go Gen 4 but expect to pay about $10k more on average to move from a Gen 3 to a Gen 4. Personally my gen 3 has plenty of power for my tastes and I couldn't justify the extra $10k for the extra 90 horses. I figure if I want an extra 90hp I can do it for cheaper than $10k.

Last thing...make sure it's had the window regulators replaced! Big issue with these cars and most were replaced under warranty but if not it's big $. Also make sure not to crank the e-brake. It has a tendency to stick and grind down the back side of the rotor.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not too bad anymore. I had my passenger window regulator replaced 2 weeks after I got it, I think it cost me a couple hundred bucks...when it used to be almost a grand.

cbj5259

Established Member
It's not too bad anymore. I had my passenger window regulator replaced 2 weeks after I got it, I think it cost me a couple hundred bucks...when it used to be almost a grand.

Yeah it's come down some since the gen 5 regulators work in the 3/4 I believe. Still a PITA.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah it's come down some since the gen 5 regulators work in the 3/4 I believe. Still a PITA.

Huge pain in the ass. Took me a couple hours I think. My hands are too big to be a mechanic.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
thanks for the replies. good info. car will be purely for fun, canyon runs and highway pulls every now and then. no boost, no tracks.

Black2010

Established Member
https://driveviper.com/forums/forums/6-Gen-III-Gen-IV

Join up over there and ask away. Some real nice and knowledgeable people there. More foot traffic in the Gen 1/2 and 5 forums but still some good use in the Gen 3/4 threads.

I'm a Gen 2 owner so I wont speak towards the Gen3/4 as I haven't owned or driven one but i will say that it's best to save and wait for a nice clean car vs settling. These cars are very reliable when taken care of but neglected cars can become a bit of a money pit.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
ACR mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I REALLY want a Gen V ACR....maybe even a TA.

Not to replace my Gen IV, but to be a "street car" while the Gen IV turns into a pure track toy.

nxhappy

Established Member
seems like the rod bearings on the gen Vs are ****ed. that is really disappointing...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
seems like the rod bearings on the gen Vs are ****ed. that is really disappointing...
Oh, I wouldn't buy one without the extra warranty lol

I'm extremely happy with my Gen IV...it does everything and more than what I would like it to do. I just like the added creature comforts in the V.

Black2010

Established Member
If I could afford one I'd buy a Gen V in a heart beat. I'd especially go for the 13 or 14 that got the free extended warranty for 10 years on the engine. I know it's way to common than it should be but it seems to only effect about 15% or so of cars based off the numbers I've seen. To often to gamble with but with a 10 year warranty I'll have plenty of miles on the car to make sure the motor isn't part of the problem.

I would be lying if I didn't admit to considering selling my 04 Cobra and my 98 GTS to fund a Gen V. Just not sure I'd get two cars worth of fun out of the one especially since the Cobra is a Vert and offers some fun top down drives with the family.

Zemedici

Established Member
I REALLY want a Gen V ACR....maybe even a TA.

Not to replace my Gen IV, but to be a "street car" while the Gen IV turns into a pure track toy.

Fun fact : The customer of mine that did the 1000whp hellcat and bought that Berylium Orange Saleen traded them both in for a Gen V ACR-E.

Guess where its coming? :D

nxhappy

Established Member
Oh, I wouldn't buy one without the extra warranty lol

I'm extremely happy with my Gen IV...it does everything and more than what I would like it to do. I just like the added creature comforts in the V.

yes but the warranty will only last so long lol . it just sucks. apparently the new motor design starves the engine on oil. wish they would have figured it out for the last year of production .....

Black2010

Established Member
I haven't heard of that problem. The only issue I'm aware of with the Gen V motor was the block contamination leading to bearing failures and some of them use an excessive amount of oil. All of which would be clearly known before the warranty expires unless it's a garage queen.

Their was an oil issue but R29 recall solved those issues. Could you link to something about that issue for a Gen 5? I know some Gen 2 and 3/4 had issues on tracks though but the Gen 5 has been pretty solid with the exception of claimed contamination problems.

Users who are viewing this thread