Gen 2 swap

arena314

Established Member
hey guys so my 11' gt has been running good with the paxton on it the past 2200 miles or so but I just recently saw a fully assembled gen 2 longblock for sale in my area for 5900 bucks. Its a Fully rebuilt oem gen 2 engine Would it be worth it for me to buy this engine and swap it out with my gen 1 then sell my good running gen 1?

Last edited:

arena314

Established Member
there's info of the ad
Screenshot_20200922-093438_Facebook.jpeg
Screenshot_20200922-093432_Facebook.jpeg
Screenshot_20200922-093415_Facebook.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

68gtscode

Established Member
It really depends on your goals for the car, in my opinion. I am not all that well versed in all of the differences between the various generations of coyotes. My last car had a Gen 2 long block (with cams, etc.) and made 840rw... I didn't drive the care much prior to selling it, but believe it would have been reliable at this power level. But, I understand that's at about the limit of the Gen 2. If you want significantly above this, you will need to move to a sleeved block and better rods, pistons, etc. So, if you'd be happy at the 800-850rw range, I think it would be worth it. If you think you'll want more, I would put your money towards a fully built engine. Let us know what you decide... good luck!

arena314

Established Member
if I had a motor that could handle 8-900 whp It would be more then enough. I've had the itch lately to pulley down and add a wastegate. I'm still happy with the power the car is making but id like to bring the torque up a good bit and have some of that power at lower rpm. I'm worried that my gen 1 is holding great rn but will eventually leave rods in the street especially if i turn it up.

Reaper14

Established Member
You would still need to swap out the timing to a gen 1 right? For it to work for you. Also Billet oil pump gear & crank sproket. Im going the same route, just building from block up.

Vic

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
As reaper was mentioning, it has a new oil pump but it’s a stocker, the whole build is stock. Somewhere on the forum there is a breakdown of the differences between gen1, gen2 and gen3 I believe. Find that, read it and see if it’s worth the changes and headaches. If it were me, I would save for an aluminator or have something built to your wants and needed power range. As it is, changing out good running stock for stock that requires some changes for only 15hp (if that) isn’t worth the time and expense

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
geoffmt the main reason for the gen2 swap is not for the stock power difference (15hp) it's for the total power it can handle reliably. The gen1 limit is about 6-650rhp and the gen2 is 8-850rhp. I would do it if you run a power adder and in your case yes. I had a gen1 built with the Manley rods and pistons. I would price around to see what a short block would cost vs the gen2. The built gen1 is stronger than a stock gen2 and you could use your block, crank, heads and timing components.

arena314

Established Member
its a fully stock gen 2. Well he opened up the ring gap a little and put clevite bearings in it and stock fasteners. The fact that he opened up the ring gap would be good for my application. I have opg's in my gen 1 currently and a cs but id like to keep that engine in 1 peice and sell it or use it in my other mustang eventually. I would have to do gen 1 cams and timing components and some aftermarket opg's and i think it would be a pretty stout set up. My car is currently making 662/495 sae at the wheels id like to get my torque closer to 600ish but idk if my gen 1 would appreciate me spinning the paxton that much faster. He said 5500 is what he'd take for the motor so I can probably have that motor ready to drop in my car for maybe around 7k or maybe a little less

FullOutPwr

Established Member
Ford part # FR3Z-6009-H is the 2g short block. It's 2k from Ford. It says "cylinder block" but its a full short block. Buy this, drop your 1G heads and upgrade the intake cams from L&M for $895.

If you wanted a forged lower end, there are plenty of builders with short blocks for sale fully forged for the same price of that stock long block.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread