Gen 1 cylinder head question ?

Reaper14

Established Member
Never heard of using gen 2 cams for gen 1 engine. Are you also talking everything else that comes with it? Gen 2 cams, phasers, sprokets? I would talk to your tuner to make sure.

Vic

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t think I need gen 2 head gaskets to run gen 2 cams on a build.

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. As Reaper14 indicated, you would have to use the Gen 2 phasers, etc.

More importantly, what is this engine in? If it's a Coyote swap you'd need the Gen 2 control module and harness. If it's in an existing 11-14 Mustang, I'm not sure how you would do that and integrate it with your dash, etc.

silver n black

Established Member
Never heard of using gen 2 cams for gen 1 engine. Are you also talking everything else that comes with it? Gen 2 cams, phasers, sprokets? I would talk to your tuner to make sure.

Vic
Yea , A budget rebuild from a gen 1 f150 core to gain easy hp to utilize gen 2 cams an timing kit.

silver n black

Established Member
You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. As Reaper14 indicated, you would have to use the Gen 2 phasers, etc.

More importantly, what is this engine in? If it's a Coyote swap you'd need the Gen 2 control module and harness. If it's in an existing 11-14 Mustang, I'm not sure how you would do that and integrate it with your dash, etc.
It’s going to b n a classic 67 mustang

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
What are you doing for a manifold? The truck one is good for low end torque. If you upgrade it for hp I recommend the 2018+ manifold.

Reaper14

Established Member
Yea , A budget rebuild from a gen 1 f150 core to gain easy hp to utilize gen 2 cams an timing kit.
Why not go for the boss 302 ones that they have on Tasca? Not the boss302r ones that are like $1600, but the ones that pop up when you look up the 302 parts. I dont know what the difference is, I know the intake one matches the gen 1 coyote just not the exhaust.

Vic

Reaper14

Established Member
These should run with a gen 1 control pack
Screenshot_20200224-151504.jpeg

Vic

silver n black

Established Member
My current plan is to transform my gen 1 f150 to the following parts, gen 1 Mustang GT pistons, gen 2 rods either gen 1 Mustang cams or some boss cams with a matching intake manifold or 18 manifold .this swap is goin into a gen 1 control pack in a 67 mustang

stang910

Established Member
I don’t think I need gen 2 head gaskets to run gen 2 cams on a build.
Pretty sure your going to need the Gen 2 head gaskets. The only difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 gaskets is the oil hole to control the phasers, the Gen 2 is larger. Since you need to use the 2015 intake phaser your going to need the larger oil passage as well assuming the Gen 1 head also has the larger hole which I think it does but not sure.

silver n black

Established Member
Pretty sure your going to need the Gen 2 head gaskets. The only difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 gaskets is the oil hole to control the phasers, the Gen 2 is larger. Since you need to use the 2015 intake phaser your going to need the larger oil passage as well assuming the Gen 1 head also has the larger hole which I think it does but not sure.
Ima hv to do some research on the head gasket issues .....thanks for the input !

Users who are viewing this thread