Gears for the 03

SnakeEyes87

Established Member
I know this has been thrown back and fourth, but straigh out, what are the best gears for a daily driver? I was thinking of putting 4:10s on mine. Really, what are the benefits of putting 4:10s on for mostly street use? What does it basically do?

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
4:10's are the way to go. Just my opion, but they WILL hurt some fuel economy on a car that is daily commuted. I have changed gears in every car I have owned and felt that changing the gears in the car is good for a car that will see alot of 1/4 mile track use.

You will encounter excessive loss of traction. These cars make alot of torque.......

i8u

Established Member
It makes you get through the rpm band faster. But say redline happenes at 40. It will happen earlier like 36. Just make sure you correct your speedomiter other wise it will say your going faster than you really are. Also it will add more miles than you really have driven if not corrected. You will feel like you gained torque!
I can't see 4.10's being too much with two overdrives. Good luck!:beer:

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
You know I have wanted to do gears for awhile now but the only thing that has stopped me so far is the fact I don't have any traction now all gears are going to do is hurt your traction, but that is the only negative I see aside from the fuel economy thing, otherwise they are a great chice I was thinking about the new 3.90's they have out now. just my .02 for what its worth. Have fun with your car and make it for you!!!:D :D :D

Silver 03 Cobra

I drove from NC to Fla on I-85 and I-185 to us 431 doing 85 average with a lot of 70 plus on US 4-lane roads and averaged a hair under 20 mpg with a heavy load.

I'm wondering tha with the pulley and chip that leaning out the car gets better mileage. I couldn't believe my mileage when I got my first tank on the trip in Atlanta. 465 rwhp and 20 mpg.

Only buy FRPP gears. They are the easiest to shim and you can just about bet the farm if you put a .03 shim on your pnion gear you will be dead on 90% of the time.

www.buyfordmotorsport.com for $139. I don't think they have updated their website but the $139 is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I drove from NC to Fla on I-85 and I-185 to us 431 doing 85 average with a lot of 70 plus on US 4-lane roads and averaged a hair under 20 mpg with a heavy load.

What's your gear?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I don't see much use in going from stock 3.55 gears to 3.90 - unless you just WANT to waste money IMO.

Bare minimum I would go with a high reving car such as the Cobra would be 4.10's. I put 3.73's in my 2000 GT, and wish I would have gotten 4.10's, so I will probably go with 4.30's in my Cobra when I switch out the gears.

Users who are viewing this thread