Gears and speedometer correction

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Its not rocket science or a myth.
When you change the gear out it will get chewed up. Its just a matter of when.
Trying building a clock and using plastic gears that dont mesh together correctly. Let me know how long your clock works.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a solution, also. Got my '98 ready for storage yesterday. Put some stabil in the tank and took it for a quick run... no speedo. Second speedcal to take a dump.

Has anyone tried the Dakota Digital unit on a '98?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a solution, also. Got my '98 ready for storage yesterday. Put some stabil in the tank and took it for a quick run... no speedo. Second speedcal to take a dump.

Has anyone tried the Dakota Digital unit on a '98?

Are you sure your VSS is ok?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
No...but, will check it out next spring when the car comes out. Thought it was the VSS last time and picked up a new one. Turned out it was the speedcal that had died. So, I have a spare.

It wouldn't surprise me if the speedcal is bad. I did a t56 swap in my 98 a few weeks ago. I noticed while adjusting the dip switches to calibrate my speedo the box was getting really hot on top of the trans tunnel during test drives. Electronics and heat doesn't work well together. I drilled several holes in the top on the speedcal lid to let the heat escape. I checked the box after a recent drive and it was noticeably cooler.

Last edited:

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
It wouldn't surprise me if the speedcal is bad. I did a t56 swap in my 98 a few weeks ago. I noticed while adjusting the dip switches to calibrate my speedo the box was getting really hot on top of the trans tunnel during test drives. Electronics and heat doesn't work well together. I drilled several holes in the top on the speedcal lid to let the heat escape. I checked the box after a recent drive and it was noticeably cooler.
I agree... heat is probably the main reason speedcals fail. I will look at mounting away from the tunnel.

adammdennis11

Established Member
I took my cluster out and took to a local company that rebuilds them here in Tampa years ago. No issues since. I think I just searched speedometer repair in the local area.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 97 Cobra with a stock 5-speed transmission. I can't find any speedo gears to adapt to 4:10 gears. What is the best way to adjust the speedo for 4:10s?

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
according to the product description I need a 7-tooth gear set:
Manual Transmissions with 7 Tooth Drive Gear
  • 1983-1989 T-5 OEM
  • Pre 1993 T-5 Aftermarket
  • 1996-1998 Cobra T-45 OEM
  • All Tremec Transmissions
but the product link is the 8-tooth gear, that one I have found before, but it says except Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread