Gears and speedometer correction

Boosted08

Established Member
Currently have the stock 3.27 gears and thinking about going to 4:10 gears. Are there any options to correct my speedometer?

I know about Dallas mustang speedcal, but they have long been out of business. If my research is correct there isn’t a viable Speedo gear to make things accurate. Are there any other options?

hotcobra03

Established Member
I went the easy route,,

Hand held tuner.

Used for other things also so it was worth the investment,,

I also had gotten mine used for 100 bucks years ago assume they are still around used.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Those different # tooth gears only work short term. They just grind up the plastic gears.

HellionGT

Turbo fun
Established Member
When I went to 3.73s from 3.27s (01 Mustang) I let the odometer be. Went like this for just over ten years. Was about ten mph off on the speed.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I put a speedo gear in mine when I went to 3.73 in my 98 Cobra. That was over a decade ago. I've put 75k miles on the car since then and rebuilt the rear end but still on the same speedo gear. With that said, my 89 Lx would chew up a speedo gear every two months. lol

Boosted08

Established Member
yea you have to replace the gears in your speedo
Are you referring to the speedometer gear in the trans? If so there is no match to accurately account for 4.10’s that I’m aware of. The 23 tooth would get me close but it apparently will get chewed up with the 7 tooth drive gear in short order.

shurur

Established Member
Look..one post said the gears will get chewed up...another said they lasted 10+ years.

I think you may be making things worse than they are.

I would call LMR about the gear need (you have the link to their calculator) and see what they say about it.

I suspect those that had problems did not get all the old grease out and had old plastic and junk in the original grease the ended up mucking up the new gears.

I see this on the LMR site:
But if you haven't done it already, call them.
  • Do not use a 23 tooth speedometer driven gear on a 1996-1998 Mustang GT or Cobra T45, AODE, or 4R70W. It will self destruct in a matter of feet.

Just my .02...

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
If gears are not an option:
Cam VanDerHorst said...
"This is what was recommended to me by Mark at Accutach: SGI-100BT: Universal Speedometer and Tachometer Interface"

I would PM mwolson about this speedcal alternative. I believe he may also have another alternative by now.

This is Mark's site.
Your problem is his thing...he has a FB page as well.

Accutach Company

boost88

Established Member
Op what did you end up doing? Going to be going through this soon. Have been looking for a speed cal but can't seem to find one

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
I saw this, I believe it would work, but have not used it. Maybe reach out to them (Abbott) to confirm. I think it's around $200. Click on link below.

Abbott Enterprises - ERA

I think this is what I've had in mine for about 20 years. Pretty easy to set up with a gps app on your phone and can easily be hidden under the shifter bezel.

Last edited:

Boosted08

Established Member
Op what did you end up doing? Going to be going through this soon. Have been looking for a speed cal but can't seem to find one

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I’m still searching and deciding. I would also love to find a speed cal and be done with it. I contacted accutach about their product working on a 96 cobra but his answer left me in doubt that it would 100% work.

Users who are viewing this thread