gearing for 1999 cobra mustang

DansCobra

Established Member
I am thinking about replacing my stock gears in my 1999 cobra mustang. It is a second car and I want to put in 4.10's. Any advice on this and if so does anyone know someone in Orlando ,Florida who can do this?

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
no_slow_svt said:
minimun 4.30's

+1

I recently did the same, and while deciding I made a chart comparing gears from stock to 4.88. MPH vs. RPM. It is in excel and I have no idea how to post it.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Another vote for 4.30s. If you want to be quick and still have driveability, anything less would be a waste.

suprsnke

Established Member
I think it depends on the type of driving you intend to do. On the "Road Course" you may run out of gear w/ 4.10's. We fell that an agressive track like Watkins Glen would benifit from 3.73's or maybe 3.90's. Just my opinion.........

matt888

Established Member
Rapid Ralph said:
I think it depends on the type of driving you intend to do. On the "Road Course" you may run out of gear w/ 4.10's. We fell that an agressive track like Watkins Glen would benifit from 3.73's or maybe 3.90's. Just my opinion.........

Funny you mention that because I was running at Willow Springs raceway in CA last October and was not liking my 4.10s at the end of the 1/2 mile front straight away (you enter that section going about 75-85mph in my heavy ass vert). They are awesome gears through the turns though!

Last edited:

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
TheGord said:
+1

I recently did the same, and while deciding I made a chart comparing gears from stock to 4.88. MPH vs. RPM. It is in excel and I have no idea how to post it.

Here's a similar thread that I made last summer. Very informative. I chart the torque to the wheels vs. gear vs. speed for various differential gears.

Graphs of wheel torque vs. speed for various gears...

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
definately...4.10 is a lot for big power at least...im not even going to touch my gears...but thats me
more power to the guys with 4.30's and 4.56's and 9.56's

The Torque curve of a N/A Cobra is not even vaguely the same as a roots blown 03. Your car has torque on the bottom end, whereas ours don't, so it has to be made up through gearing. That's why we run such steep gearing.

4.30s are no problem. I use 1st gear all of the time, but I can also use 2nd and skip shift to 4th when I feel like it. 4.56s would be fine with me also.

dannygcobra

It will basically be a weekend car. I want gears that will help the intial accelaration. It seems that I need to get up to around 3000 rpm before I get the bulk of the power. I want a quick take off in first. Will 4.10's give me that without spinning the tires to much?

Dingleweed

Grower of dingleberries
Established Member
dannygcobra said:
It will basically be a weekend car. I want gears that will help the intial accelaration. It seems that I need to get up to around 3000 rpm before I get the bulk of the power. I want a quick take off in first. Will 4.10's give me that without spinning the tires to much?

4.10s will allow you to take off as fast as your tires will allow in first gear, even from an idle roll.

check out this chart I made (in that other thread that I supplied a link to) for the torque to the wheels vs. speed for stock gears versus 4.10s:
WTQfor410gear.jpg

Here si one versus rpm:
WTQ410vsrpm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread