gear whine

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
Any body else a a faint gear whine after lowering.... I realigned the axle with adjustable panhard bar and I set the pinion angle to 1.5 degrees but still have a very faint whine. any ideas....

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
drive faster!
see you in myrtle beach!!! Cant wait to see devastator!

Leonard 95

Established Member
Stock upper and lowers hide alot of noises, when you go to aftermarket arms they transmit a little noise, just drive it like you stole it! Be glad you only have a faint whine.

oldlugs

Established Member
Any body else a a faint gear whine after lowering...

I think most of our cars have some gear whine, and that's why Ford generously gave us those bolt on axle weights to help lessen the noise. As part of the KR package, Shelby installed a modified (from the Explorer) aluminum rear cover. I believe this was done because it increases the amount of diff oil the rear end carries, but also for aided cooling and probably noise reduction. If you don't have an aluminum diff cover now, one may help to reduce your gear whine...

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
Ok. well i just heard it after all the install never heard it before just though i would ask. Thanks for the help.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I too have a very faint whine and it came after I installed a BMR adjustable with the poly bushing and a set of 3.73's t is just a faint whine and if you turn up the radio just a bit or get in it with the throttle you forget its there. Its the price we pay to transform a mid level sports car into a racer.

And I like me some race car action now!

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
well after the install I took it out to make sure there was no abnormal noises and it was something I noticed. Trust me, i usally have the shaker 1000 turned up while cruising.

Users who are viewing this thread