gear questions ?

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
I have been wanting gears on my 01 cobra, but i have been hearing different things . do you need a dyno tune when getting gears ? or can a bama handheld tuner work ? and one more question. are long tube headers worth the hassle ?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
You dont need a dyno tune for gears. The only thing you would want to do is correct the ratio so your speedo isnt off. Long tubes wont net you a lot of power and can be expensive to have installed. I know someone with a Mach 1 with the same mods as me + longtubes and he makes like 10 more hp and 15 or 20 more trq. Nothing major.

sdg97232

Established Member
Like tb said no need for a tune with just a gear install you will need to have your speedo recalibrated. As far as the headers go if you plan to keep the car mild id say spend the money elsewhere but if better flowing (ported) heads and or forced induction is in the future you will see bigger gains from the longtubes. But even on a mild car 15 to 20 foot lbs is a nice gain, worth the pain in the ass install??? Maybe if you want every once of power that can be had........or just install the headers yourself and the gain vs investment tips into your favor!

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
You dont need a dyno tune for gears. The only thing you would want to do is correct the ratio so your speedo isnt off. Long tubes wont net you a lot of power and can be expensive to have installed. I know someone with a Mach 1 with the same mods as me + longtubes and he makes like 10 more hp and 15 or 20 more trq. Nothing major.

okay yeah thats what i was thinking, and the longtubes i hae been debating on for awhile and also i didnt want take them off for smog also.

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
Like tb said no need for a tune with just a gear install you will need to have your speedo recalibrated. As far as the headers go if you plan to keep the car mild id say spend the money elsewhere but if better flowing (ported) heads and or forced induction is in the future you will see bigger gains from the longtubes. But even on a mild car 15 to 20 foot lbs is a nice gain, worth the pain in the ass install??? Maybe if you want every once of power that can be had........or just install the headers yourself and the gain vs investment tips into your favor!
okay thank you very much, and i have a zinc yellow 01 cobra, i could see you really like the color.

xLE7HALx

what are the best gears to get for a 01? ive heard 4.10's are nice and give a noticeable difference. does this hold any truth?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
4.10s are what I have and I love them. To be honest I wish I would have went with 4.56's but they may come down to whenever I feel like installing them again. I still get about 17 city and 24 Highway with my gears installed. Best bang for the buck in our cars.....PERIOD!

sdg97232

Established Member
373 best gear...:rolling:

3.73's are not the best gear in a n/a 4v.........3.73's will work great with a power adder but on a n/a car they would leave you wanting more. I had 4.10's in my old azure blue 04 mach and wanted more..........my zinc mach was going to get 4.56's and a t56 swap but since i bought a terminator those plans have changed.

sdg97232

Established Member
okay thank you very much, and i have a zinc yellow 01 cobra, i could see you really like the color.

To be honest me endding up with two zinc yellow mustangs is just how it worked out. I didnt look for that color just was looking for the best deal i could get on the cars...... my cobra wont be zinc much longer once the suspension is done its getting a complete repaint to kona blue with a black roof line! Should look hot!

cobra916

Established Member
3.73's are not the best gear in a n/a 4v.........3.73's will work great with a power adder but on a n/a car they would leave you wanting more. I had 4.10's in my old azure blue 04 mach and wanted more..........my zinc mach was going to get 4.56's and a t56 swap but since i bought a terminator those plans have changed.

i have a cammed mach with 430s and hated them... now have 373s... so now what?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I think with 4.10s you need to shift right before the 1/4. So either get a little more gear or a little less. I have 4.30s in my 01.

Users who are viewing this thread