gear oil qty in 8.8 w/ true trac and FR diff cover?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
like it says - 8.8 rear end, ford racing diff cover and true trac diff

It looks like normally its right at 2 quarts of gear oil + 4 oz friction modifier. The true trac doesnt use friction modifier so closer to 2.5 quarts?

American Muscle site is throwing me off as they list 3 quarts to fill.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
damnit, without fail, post and finally find the answer

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-4033-G2.PDF

buy 3 quarts and fill until it runs out the hole on the other side of the housing...forgot that was there
**jokes are on purpose**

No friction mod, fluid isn't expensive, get a harbor freight transfer pump (orange thing hose top and bottom) and 3 quarts. Jack it up so you can get in there but jack both end so its level-ish and pump it till it squirts.

It's a fill to overflow like Tremec trannies if you're worried about overfill finger test the hole. Real life level the car and fill till it flows out and wait a little to let the excess drain. Let it rest then plug it.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
**jokes are on purpose**

No friction mod, fluid isn't expensive, get a harbor freight transfer pump (orange thing hose top and bottom) and 3 quarts. Jack it up so you can get in there but jack both end so its level-ish and pump it till it squirts.

It's a fill to overflow like Tremec trannies if you're worried about overfill finger test the hole. Real life level the car and fill till it flows out and wait a little to let the excess drain. Let it rest then plug it.
ya ive got a couple of those pumps, I forgot about the drain plug on the front side of the housing. I was just thinking about the fill hole on the cover being way too high. Luckily its already pretty much level in the air working on other shit

Users who are viewing this thread