gear install?

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
Going to be installng 373s In my IRS soon and was wondering how difficult this will be? I've installed gears in a sra before numerous times just wondering how it will be in the IRS. Any tips would be great. I'll have access to a lift and plenty of tools. I'm using my buddies shop for this project. Thanks in advance.

Juruense

Banned
Well if you have done SRA you should be ok. I think sometimes you need a spreader tool to spread the housing on the IRS but I am not sure...

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
9 out of 10 times, you will not need the spreader tool.

If you are just going to 3.73's and you have the original 3.55's from FORD in there, you can get a way with just reusing the stock pinion shim. That will save you a lot of time, as I am sure you are aware.

Once you tear it down I would also replace the trac-loc clutches, FORD Racing sells a replacement carbon clutch kit for like 100 bux, you can get it a Summit Racing. I would recommend the alternate packing method, search for it.

Then put it all back together and all you will need to do is check backlash and set it as close to 0.008" as posible and then pinion bearing preload to 16-18 inch/lbs and don't forget the locktite on the ring bolts and pinion nut if you reuse them.

Rev_HardSVT

Midwest Mustangs
Established Member
So when I get the car up on the lift taking it all apart isn't going to be a big pain, or somewhat of a pain?

Users who are viewing this thread