Gear Install Problems

FunkyBoss

Established Member
Just finished up my gear install (4.10's) last night but I ran into some issues that are bugging me, first and foremost is run-out. I was having trouble setting backlash correctly as I kept getting different measurements around the ring gear, so I checked run-out only to find it in the .020 range :eek:. I pulled the carrier, removed the ring gear and made sure the mating surfaces were smooth. After reinstalling the gear and checking runout again there was no change, so I checked the runout on the carrier surface, same result. At first I though maybe the 31-spline carrier I bought used was bad, so I pulled out my old 28-spline and checked it, same thing. I checked all the surfaces where the races meet the housing and everything looks fine, WTF :shrug:! Could my pumpkin be f-ed up?

Needless to say I put it all back together the best I could trying to find a happy medium for backlash, it varies from .007 to .015. The pattern looks alright, it varies from heel to toe but is centered from face to flank. I've driven about 15 miles so far and they are much quieter than my 4.30's were, which must have been really out of whack but I didn't install those. The new ones do whine a little bit when coasting, but they are Richmond gears lol. Any ideas what the problem could be? two different carriers with 2 sets of races causing the same problem, all signs point to the housing but I hope thats not the issue. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread