Gear Install HELP!

Matt P

Established Member
Ive brought the pinion closer to center and that does not help...

Is their a way to measure the case to check for it being bent or warped?

If I run it as is, what is the prognosis?

Matt P

Established Member
I called the FRPP tech hotline and wenty over all this wtih them, super nice guys too. He instructed me to go with the 0.030 pinion shim but open the back lash up to the high side up to 0.015 and see how it goes. Will do tonight...

fastback brian

Established Member
high heel contact will require less backlash/more pinion shim..only reason to raise backlash is if the contact was deep toe or heavy toe..
if the pattern is better with less than .008 back lash then the housing is warped..if no pinion shim change improves the pattern then the housing is warped..

ford racing guys are nice sales men..

I set this one up today... not perfect but this is what you pattern should come close to look like... dont run it if you dont get this pattern...
143er6g.jpg

DE07GT

Established Member
I called the FRPP tech hotline and wenty over all this wtih them, super nice guys too. He instructed me to go with the 0.030 pinion shim but open the back lash up to the high side up to 0.015 and see how it goes. Will do tonight...

I hope he wasn't telling you to install it with .015" backlash because that's horrible advice. When I pulled my original differential and gears out of my car it was making a ton of noise with .017" backlash. The differential I built myself is the first one to not make any noise (well so far lol) out of the 4 that have been in it.

Matt P

Established Member
I used up all the yellow paste that came with the gear kit. What else can I use that is readily available from say Autozone, NAPA, etc? White lithuium grease?

Matt P

Established Member
Progress.... :banana: I was wondering if their was a difference in dimension between the OE 99 pinion bearings and the FRPP level 2 pinion bearing kit... sure enough the pitch if the large front pinion bearing bearing is different and was causing my issue. I was using the OE bearing in the new race and they were not aligned right. I pressed on the new FRPP bearing and its looking good. Thanks for all you guys telling me it was messed up, you were right. suggestions on what shims to adjust now are appreciated.

7022745723_390c51f46c_b.jpg

fastback brian

Established Member
you wrote you were using the old bearing for setup, nothing about the new race.. yea ford changed the big bearing a few years ago along with a new crush sleeve and pinion nut..

Pattern looks much better, could use some work or run it like that, should be good..

Matt P

Established Member
I was thinking to decrease the pinion shim from 0.030 to 0.028 Is that enough of a change to move the pattern a little more toward the heel?

fastback brian

Established Member
where that pattern is at, to move closer to toe you would increase back lash..to lower the pattern closer to root you would add pinion shim..
pinion shim will adjust top to bottom and back lash will change heel to toe..
having a good pattern towards the toe is good to run.. but the pattern should be center top to bottom..

Matt P

Established Member
I decided to just run it as it is now. I didn't want to deal with using the bearing separator again and possibly damage the bearing. Thanks a bunch for the help and guidance I really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread