Gauges reset during WOT (All needles go left for a second)

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
During WOT runs my needles on my gauges go all the way left at the top of my runs. Coincidentally my LiveWire stops recording at 5,400 RPM's. Could this be an alternator issue? Has anyone ever experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What is your voltage doing at that point? Does the car cut out or does it keep pulling?

50stangpower

Established Member
Yes I am having this issue on my 2valve car right now. My alternator is week and only about 12.5 volts at WOT. Not sure e if that's the issue or not. Please keep us posted on your solution.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
What is your voltage doing at that point? Does the car cut out or does it keep pulling?
good question sorry I meant to add this when I made my post. It dips to as low as 12.1

Yeah it keeps on pulling like normal it's so weird

cj428mach

Established Member
You mention livewire. I believe thats an sct deal. Sct livelink had that issue back when i used it. It was just an sct issue as my Binary Editor software doesn't do it.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
You mention livewire. I believe thats an sct deal. Sct livelink had that issue back when i used it. It was just an sct issue as my Binary Editor software doesn't do it.
what did you end up doing? I believe Malcolm tuned your car as well and this is the wall we've run into. He's got this thing absolutely dialed and now I've hit a small obstacle I'd like to get resolved

cj428mach

Established Member
what did you end up doing? I believe Malcolm tuned your car as well and this is the wall we've run into. He's got this thing absolutely dialed and now I've hit a small obstacle I'd like to get resolved

I self tune with help from both guys. I run Binary Editor now and its not an issue. I never had it happen all the time/every time going wot. When logging with sct the gauges just drop in and out regularly but if i remember right my logs were good just no gauges at times.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ok got it. Like I said my logs are starting to blank out around 5400 RPM's. I'm just gonna hope it's alternator related because my voltage is dipping to 12.1 to 12.4 during the end of the WOT runs. I'll report back when I get that installed. In the meantime if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Stanger00

Established Member
Never figured mine out. Only occurs when you he tires spin a little and the car shifts at 7k instead of 6800. Car keeps pulling. I fee it's an alternator issue because I have OEM pulley with a 10% OD crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sweet fingers crossed that's our issue. If you guys datalog with LiveWire I bet your logs have this blank recording space in the higher RPM's for whatever reason. Who knows it could be just me. Hopefully the alternator arrives in a few days and I can get an answer

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the exact same issue. I have a brand new alternator though. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of a short somewhere, most likely with the battery cables.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
a guy I know is having the same issue with his terminator swapped fox and nations alt - top of a pull the battery light comes on, lights go off, car noses over then picks back up on the shift

you guys getting down into the mid - low 12s should be careful on pulls, the flow of the pumps really starts to take a hit at that voltage

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
It is indeed "normal" to have the gauges sweep while hooked up to livelink and datalogging.

It's annoying, and another reason I'm glad I have a shift light just in case it does a sweep while doing a pull.

Mine still always datalogs while the gauge does a sweep.

Op, 12.1 voltage during wot is too low though.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sweet yeah Malcolm pointed out I'm gonna need an alternator either way. So whether this fixes it or not it's good peace of mind because 12.1 volts at WOT is bad from what I'm seeing. Others I've talked to are seeing 13 volts minimum at WOT.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My tuner told me your alternator actually shuts off during WOT and is running all on the battery. Your alternator might be weak and not charging your battery fully.

I was having some electrical issues on the dyno and I could see it in the graph cutting out.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

I didn't think about that. It makes sense though. When I use my X3 the gauges will randomly drop out. Sometimes it'll show in my datalog as a really weird reading. Like 10k+ RPM. The funny thing is when I use my Xcal2 I never have an issue.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I've had similar happen, but it was more random. Twice slowing down after a pull, and once just cruising along at lower RPM. I tested and cleaned every single ground. Alternator voltage never dipped below 13.5 at any point. I lost gauges as well as recorded data during that reset period.

But the most recent one after I tested and cleaned the grounds lead me to believe it's a Livelink/datalink issue. It lost vehicle speed for a split second before everything else. The car kept pulling the entire time. It's like it's dropping messages on the datalink, but the PCM is still working. And beyond that, it's only done this while logging with Livelink. I've never seen it outside of when I'm datalogging.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not hooked up to any live wire or sct software when I'm doing pulls though.

Users who are viewing this thread