gauge says HOT

spike31460

Established Member
I've changed the thermostat, but it still reads hot, and the fan does not kick on. There are no valves rapping and no steam from under the hood. Tomorrow I'll change the sending unit. :burn:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by spike31460
A new development has occured. In a short jaunt to the local grocery store, the gauge on my '95 Cobra registered in the red. We had been driving it all evening to and fro,(not a large hairstyle)around the neighborhood. It didn't seem to be running hot.(no hot smell, and no unusual hot noises from under the hood) Also, the cooling fan never kicked on, as I assumed it would at that kind of temperature. Could the thermostat have frozen closed? What sort of water pump problem could I have encountered? I just put a new serpentine belt on, because I didn't want to take a chance on the one that was in place. The coolant level is O.K., but it was too hot to remove the cap to see what kind of water movement was happening in the rad. Any other tips I could try? Thanks, Ron.:whine:

P.S. Bad sending unit?

I'm just boing to put this in here and delet that other post. This wayy you can keep the info together. ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Did you check to see if any coolant was circulating when the car had cooled down? Have you checked the fan harness? Just a couple of quick questions.

spike31460

Established Member
I changed the thermostat, and when I was flushing the rad, I had plenty of flow. Later that evening I took it for a test drive.( a couple of hours later) When I started it up again, the gauge started out at better than half way to hot. In no time it was in the red zone, but it performed admirably. I'll change the sending unit today, I think that's it. The harness for the fan was in tact. ;-) Thanks GR8white, I appreciate the help, Ron.

spike31460

Established Member
gauge read HOT

:burn: It was not hot after all. The sending unit was bad. Alls well though, fresh anti-freeze, new thermostat(180 degree/ there was a 160 in it) many test drives.

Users who are viewing this thread