Gasket or silicone between supercharger and intercooler?

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Gasket or silicone between supercharger and intercooler/ bent intercooler flange

Hey guys, I am new to the whole forced induction thing as I have just purchased an eaton swap for my '01. The question is: Should there be a gasket between the eaton and intercooler? The intercooler I have now seems to have some kind of left over silicone or sealant on it. Cant seem to find any replacement gasket for it online. If a sealant can be used, what kind should I get?

Also, the back left portion of the mounting flange on my intercooler is slightly bent (maybe like an 1/8 on an inch). Can I just carfully hammer it striaght again with a flat surface and a block of wood or something?
I posted in this forum because I figured I would get more results and it doesn't really relate to an eaton swap. Thanks for any Input.

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member

Hey guys, I am new to the whole forced induction thing as I have just purchased an eaton swap for my '01. The question is: Should there be a gasket between the eaton and intercooler? The intercooler I have now seems to have some kind of left over silicone or sealant on it. Cant seem to find any replacement gasket for it online. If a sealant can be used, what kind should I get?

Also, the back left mounting flange of my intercooler is slightly bent (maybe like an 1/8 on an inch). Can I just carfully hammer it striaght again with a flat surface and a block of wood or something?
I posted in this forum because I figured I would get more results and it doesn't really relate to an eaton swap. Thanks for any Input.

The gasket is from Garret, its not sourced by Ford. Silicone is fine, both sides of the intercooler/blower seal are wholly enclosed in the boost/vacuum of the intake manifold with similar pressure on both sides, so its not as critical as something sealed from atmosphere, like blower to lower manifold.

Last edited:

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Yeah thats what I was figuring, but does anyone know where I could get the factory garrett gasket? If not, what type of silicone should I use, it would have to be resistant to fuel and heat right?

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
Yeah thats what I was figuring, but does anyone know where I could get the factory garrett gasket? If not, what type of silicone should I use, it would have to be resistant to fuel and heat right?

Black RTV, high temp and oil resistant.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^It would be hard for anyone to tell you to just beat it out but if it's your only choice be very careful because a new intercooler is very expensive. If it's just the flange maybe put some vice grips on it and just bend it some. That way you don't have to "hit it" with anything.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Not so sure vice grips would work, as thet tend to make creases in the metal. I thought maybe I could just take two pieces of 2x4, lay one under the bottom edge of the cooler flange and one on the top side and lightly hammer on the wood. To be more clear, I am talking about the last bolt hole portion of the flange on the left side. It looks like someone tried really hard to remove the cooler from the blower with a bolt still in the back side corner, bending it slighty.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Post a picture because it actually sounds pretty easy to fix just like you're stating.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Can you get the flange in a vice with wood on either side? I used red high tempature silicone gasket maker.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
album

Users who are viewing this thread