Gas smell when getting on V1

98Bird

Established Member
Getting a fuel smell after a hard run vs. a new Civic.

It runs pretty normal off of boost. Getting on it, it falls flat on its face, backfires & heavy gas smell. Getting worse.

Injectors & fuel lines, no moisture. Changed gas cap. No boost leak that I can tell. V1 whistling normal at idle & lower RPMs; just no boost it seems.

1997 Cobra: 38 lb injectors, high vol fuel pump, KB Boost-a-pump. Vortec V1, 20 lb pulley. 4.10 gears.

Last edited:

omj

Established Member
Verify that you aren't getting boost then figure out why. If you think you aren't getting enough boost, the gas smell could be from running rich at WOT.

98Bird

Established Member
Verify that you aren't getting boost then figure out why. If you think you aren't getting enough boost, the gas smell could be from running rich at WOT.

How would I check to see if the blower hasn't crapped out? I started hearing a broken fan like sound, weird.

Stanger00

Established Member
Carrying forward from your other post.

Pull your plugs and inspect and validate your actual gap. If it’s larger than .035” you’re getting blow out.

Inpspect your MAF position and insure connections post MAF are secured and not leaking unmetered air.

Inspect charge pipe between blower and throttle body and ensure the connections are secure. Physically try to pull them apart and if you can, there is your problem.

If you have a broken fan sound, then that could be rod knock, which is a whole other issue.

98Bird

Established Member
Carrying forward from your other post.

Pull your plugs and inspect and validate your actual gap. If it’s larger than .035” you’re getting blow out.

What should my gap be. I bought this car built already. It's 20 lb pulley on the V1, 4.10 gears. I recently changed the plugs. Can't remember what I gapped it at.

I'm going to check all of that. Thank you very much.

Stanger00

Established Member
What should my gap be. I bought this car built already. It's 20 lb pulley on the V1, 4.10 gears. I recently changed the plugs. Can't remember what I gapped it at.

I'm going to check all of that. Thank you very much.

You saying you’re seeing 20lbs of boost with a v1? Is it a s-trim?

If you’re running NGK TR6, those are 0.035” out of the box.

Gap will depend on your car.

98Bird

Established Member
You saying you’re seeing 20lbs of boost with a v1? Is it a s-trim?

If you’re running NGK TR6, those are 0.035” out of the box.

Gap will depend on your car.

Yeah, S-Trim. The pulley is 20 lb, not sure if I ever boosted that high.

I don't know what the gap was. Should I try 0.028 ?

Stanger00

Established Member
Yeah, S-Trim. The pulley is 20 lb, not sure if I ever boosted that high.

I don't know what the gap was. Should I try 0.028 ?

First pull them and check the gap and for signs of detonation. Up to you if want to go .028 and work your way up or work your way down from what you installed.

Spark blow-out will cause your car to sputter.

v1 s-trim not going to pump 20psi to a b-head 4 valve. Not enough supercharger.

What is the pulley diameter? 3.125 or 3.33”

98Bird

Established Member
Well this is embarrassing. One of the spark plug wires popped out.

I bought this car built like this & now I know what those 2 plastic covers over the spark plug wires are mostly for; to keep some pressure down to prevent them from popping out. Maybe it's these wire caps that have that problem.

The plugs were gapped at 0.26 and I regapped them to 0.28; not sure if this was a good idea, but it's running good now. Thanks again for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread