Gas Pedal Mod is a must do

Bullitt3011

Established Member
So I read about this gas pedal modification for the 99-04 mustangs, where you put a spacer in the top of the cable where it attaches into the pedal. So I bought a spacer from ace hardware and put the spacer in and all I have to say is WOW. It places your gas pedal flush with all of the other pedals and it gives such a better throttle response.. Im just posting this up to recommend this mod to anyone with a throttle cable... Here are some pics of the spacer I put in

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bullitt3011

Established Member
What size spacer did you buy?

I forgot what size it was, but I just went into Ace a bought a few nylon spacers to see which would fit. They were only like 30 cents.. just climb under your dash and look at how big of a gap you have and go find a spacer that will fit :thumbsup:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I forgot what size it was, but I just went into Ace a bought a few nylon spacers to see which would fit. They were only like 30 cents.. just climb under your dash and look at how big of a gap you have and go find a spacer that will fit :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'll go do this. The pedal on my 2004 mustang isnt bad but the pedal on my 2000 is horrible. The thing is almost on the floor haha

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
But with this mod you will reach full TB opening without the pedal hitting the floor. Wont this stretch the cable or potentially damage the TB. If you raise the pedal this way I would think a stop should be added so the pedal would bottom out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
But with this mod you will reach full TB opening without the pedal hitting the floor. Wont this stretch the cable or potentially damage the TB. If you raise the pedal this way I would think a stop should be added so the pedal would bottom out.

its been on my car for 75k miles or so and no issues thus far, then again I dont try to kick it through the floor bruce lee style on the regular either

jteal55

Established Member

I have read this too. Some have reported issues where the throttle body was opening past 90 degrees if I recall correctly. I would be interested to hear any other feedback from those who have done this because I would love to do it if there are no issues.

CalBoy101

Established Member
I have read this too. Some have reported issues where the throttle body was opening past 90 degrees if I recall correctly. I would be interested to hear any other feedback from those who have done this because I would love to do it if there are no issues.

Both stock and aftermarket TB's have a stop to keep them from going past 90 degrees although I guess that could get bent from too many "Bruce Lee" (DSG, that was funny) hits.

It doesn't look to me like there is any other mechanical stop other than the one on the TB. On my 2002 when floored there is still around a 1/2" before the pedal would hit the floorboard.

So adding this spacer doesn't look to me like it will be overriding any other mechanical stop. In either case if you hit the gas too hard you will either stretch the cable or bend the TB stop. Its pretty easy to check for this, pull off the air inlet to the TB, have someone floor it and look at both the throttle body blade position and the stop level that should be up against the back of the TB inlet flange. That stop is pretty beefy so I think stretching the cable more likely what happens if you go too hard on the pedal.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I did the mod using a piece of fuel line like someone on another post suggested. Didnt have a spacer but the outcome is the same. It really is amazing how much better the throttle response is. I will probably use a spacer with a stop on the back of the pedal at some point but it is really is a great modification.

Bullitt3011

Established Member
it should work on a cobra because it has a wire cable to the throttle body, just get under your dash and pull up on the pedal and you will see the slack in the cable and where to put the spacer

Users who are viewing this thread