Gas economy suggestions?

mach_u

Established Member
The wife and I just traded in her 03 GT for a 5.4L F150 Crew. The rebates and dealers willing to negotiate to unload inventory was just too hard to pass up. The thing is for the next year she is going to have a 60 mile round-trip commute and we would like to do something to increase the MPG. I have heard that underdrive pulleys, CAI and a tune should make a difference but has anybody had any first hand experience with this? Any ideas would be appreciated! Also what kind of MPG are you guys seeing out of this motor? Thanks!

spike_africa

Established Member
the best mpg thing i ever did was a K&N cai. i got an extra full 1.5mpg out of my 99 4.6 f150. That with a cheap e-fan setup gave me 3mpg extra on the highway. And a set of used pulleys would help too. basic exhaust didnt help much (catback only at that point) on the mpg.

mach_u

Established Member
spike_africa said:
the best mpg thing i ever did was a K&N cai. i got an extra full 1.5mpg out of my 99 4.6 f150. That with a cheap e-fan setup gave me 3mpg extra on the highway. And a set of used pulleys would help too. basic exhaust didnt help much (catback only at that point) on the mpg.
What's a good electric fan to use? Any links or anything? Thanks!

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
well I just put on a Volant CAI, Edge Evolution, and a IMCO.....I can set the cruise at 65 and get anywhere from 20-22 MPG.....mine is the 4.6 though on level 3. They say that the lower levels will help Gas Milage better, I would get better gas milage if I kept my foot off of the pedal

mach_u

Established Member
What's IMCO? Also, where's the best place to buy that Edge Evolution. I've heard a couple of people mention it already...

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Discount Power Parts for $325 that is where I got mine.....IMCO is like Flowmaster, just know it sounds good...I got an IMCO Extreme, dumped before the axle.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
MAC sell U/D pullies, and a gatorback belt for $200 I think probably the next mod once I get my Sales tax paid on my Lightning

spike_africa

Established Member
Dont let these guys tell you to spend 400-500bucks on an flex-o-lite fan setup (not talking about the guys on this site but other sites thats what they all say). Go to ebay and search for e-fans you can find a company called zergo they make awsome fans that pull alot of air and are cheap. I would get a 16" and a 14" and put the 16" on the size with the a/c compressor (it needs extra air to stay cool). After i bought those two (one came with a fan controler) total cost was $210 i installed it myself wasnt to hard at all.

Users who are viewing this thread