Garbage mt82?

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
Ive noticed recently im having problems with 3rd gear. I was racing a Bentley Continental earlier and my third gear was grinding trying to get in when the clutch was to the floor. This has me worried my trans is gonna take a shit. I thought maybe it was my fault and maybe the clutch wasn't fully depressed. After we ran once more I did a couple hits on a side road afterward and same result, grinding trying to get into 3rd. What do you think is up with it? It shifts fine unless your running it hard. I really hope the trans isn't going bad. It it does die on me I think I might convert to an auto.

BTW out of 2 runs it was 1-1. He had me on the dig run(only ran to 60ish) and I took him on the roll.

rfugio68

Established Member
Inb4 6r80 swap.

Seriously though, I wouldn't think too much of it unless it keeps happening. I had a day where 3rd grinded 4 times with bolt ons only. Hasn't happened since for whatever reason.

alphastang

Established Member
Use to happen to me all the time. I think under hard acceleration the engine twists and 3rd doesn't want to go in smoothly. I installed the MGW shifter and never had the issue again.

ViciousJay

Established Member
MGW
Dot 4 swap
75-140 swap
JHR line
Whiteline bushing/DIY version

that will fix just about everything, someone stated there is a lot of flex between the motor and trans and there is. It needs to be stiffied :lol1:

Last edited:

87hatchy

Established Member
I had a real bad grind once going into 2nd at the drag strip. Scared the crap outta me, but has never happened since. I did probably 5 more passes at the track immediately after and everything was OK. Everything was stock except for a barton 2 post bracket.

Just stick with it until it is giving you problems every single time you drive. In the meantime upgrade your clutch line/fluid and trans fluid.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This is normal the mt82 has this issue. Sometimes a better clutch Wil fix the issues of you havent already damage the syncos

RFM50

Established Member
The MT82 isn't the problem, the way ford mounted it in the car is. You need switch the shifter and either do motor mounts or a trans mount or both. I would also consider an upgraded clutch.

mhyjek

Established Member
I forgot to mention I have a mgw

Clutch will help out alot! I have a similar setup for power and my clutch actually separated from the hub. I ended up going tremec magnum xl and it is the solution. Not because I spent the money but if you have someone close to you with one installed a test drive will convince you. 6r80 is great auto and probably faster through the 1/4 but if you like shifting gears and having input to the outcome of your driving experience it is the way to go!

RFM50

Established Member
I forgot to mention removing the helper spring on the clutch pedal. It helps keep the pedal off the floor. Definitely look into motor mounts or a trans mount or both. That's when I really felt the difference. I have taken my car to 7800 many of times without an issue. I have motor mounts, poly filled trans mount, spec 3+ clutch, pedal spring removed, barton shifter and two post bracket, JHR clutch line and motul dot 4 fluid swap. Car shifts smooth as butter.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Don't waste your time on the previously mentioned band aid fixes for the mt-82. Pack it in and get a tremec and never look back. The Mt-82 will die soon enough with your kind of power!

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I had terrible shifting issues, it was so bad I was ready to bring the car back to the dealer. I upgraded the motor mounts, shifter, clutch line and DOT fluid. No more issues.

REDS197

Established Member
I switched to amsoil and installed a new shifter. I have 30+ 10 second passes on 620+hp TVS with the stock clutch. I noticed if its cold it will grind but otherwise no issues. Knock on wood. Start with the fluid!

Users who are viewing this thread