Garage Queens

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
My shelby had 12,500 miles on it. Did a balls out motor build on it and it took me months to get enough miles on it to break the motor in. I think I ran maybe two tanks of fuel through it last year.

My zo6 is not on a battery tender and I had to pull the battery out twice last year because I do not drive it enough to keep the battery charged.

I have a unit that my zr1 sits in and I have forgotten where it was I drive it so little.

quad

Established Member
When I was younger, I would frown on the low mileage garage queen cars. I appreciate them much more today. I would never daily drive a special car in certain places. Sitting in constant traffic, having idiots door ding your car, having the car sit out in the elements most days of the week is for cars that are viewed as appliances. Taking out that special car on nice weekend days is something to really look forward to.
This. The longer I have my Terminator the more paranoid I get about it. I have had nightmares about driving it in the rain or snow, not lying. I have had dreams where I open the car and it is full of soil and plants growing inside it and me thinking hmm I wonder if this will buff out? Then when I wake up I am relieved that it was just a dream. Also dreamt about it getting stolen and walking into an open / empty garage with holes in the side walls etc.

Not saying my paranoia is a good thing though lol!

Rareone

Established Member
53E6578B-FFAA-419D-A836-880164B8DC9E.jpeg
does 1900 miles on my 92 count

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Lmao! There was another thread similar to this one. A guy in there said not driving your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy. That comment had me rolling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That has been an overplayed meme on Facebook....

On a side note. I don't have any super low mileage cars. Garage queen's? Yes.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I only have put a little under 4,000 a year on the SS since I got it. Which is far less than the average mileage of a 2014. Had 24,212 now just flipped 36,000 on it. I know a guy that found a 1986 SVO stang with less than 5,000 (4677) miles on it and it has been nothing but a nightmare to get running as soon as one thing gets fixed another thing goes. All the turbo system which cost ($6,000) to replace and get running then the fuel system was next, followed by all the transmission and rear seals going. He has said it would of been better and cheaper to just get one with 12 to 40,000 miles on it and be ahead of the game.

After 3 years of this last year it finally got driven without a hitch and he put close to 5,000 miles on it to make sure all that happen before never again happen to it.

Dusten

Established Member
My shelby had 12,500 miles on it. Did a balls out motor build on it and it took me months to get enough miles on it to break the motor in. I think I ran maybe two tanks of fuel through it last year.

My zo6 is not on a battery tender and I had to pull the battery out twice last year because I do not drive it enough to keep the battery charged.

I have a unit that my zr1 sits in and I have forgotten where it was I drive it so little.

I opened my storage unit recently and was almost surprised my 68 was in it lol

Kel

Established Member
Guilty as charged...bought new off the showroom floor (6k miles now), NEVER seen rain in fact I've never used the windshield wipers (seriously)! Sits beside the 66 GT convertible that's got about 7k miles on it since a rotisserie restoration in '07, similar circumstances, ha. And I keep thinking about a 20-22 GT 500, lol...

Established Member
Mine are garage queens for a different reason. I'm always finding a reason to take something apart to make it better and life gets in the way. I did drive the 68 Shelby GT 350 one year with the kids and dad to camp at Oshkosh and I have tracked the 95 R a few times. Been trying to get the 68 back to as close as I can to original, and making the 95 more track friendly, so going in opposite directions.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I only drive my shelby maybe 1-2k year. That’s being generous. But i have only had it since Oct 2020 and i have been insanely busy for the last year. Anyway Its also stored 6 months out of the year. I have owned mustangs since i was 16. Sorry but its not “fun” to DD a rwd manual mustang in the snow and salt.

Even then, at this stage of my life, i like keeping them nice given the fact where we are heading in terms of the EV push.

Never understood why anyone gives a shit how much someone drives or doesn’t drive there vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I get shit for not driving my car enough and/or not driving it hard enough. The way I see it, I want it to be more of an "event" when I do drive it. Driving it all the time would take too much of the thrill away. Even if I were in a warmer climate, I'd still have something else to daily.

Mine's originally a TX car so the mileage isn't especially low. I bought it in 2011 with 60,400 on it from a guy in northern IL. I believe it now sits at roughly 84k so ~2200/year. Like many, as I've gotten older, I don't mind leaving her tucked in the garage so I'm bringing down the average over the last couple years. I think I put maybe 800 on it last year. It's paid for and the insurance is low. And it's mine so tough turkey if you don't like how I pamper it. lol

big dad

Established Member
My 2003 Cobra currently has 2349 miles on it. It sits in my stacker trailer with the 86 GT that has 19000 miles on it. Both csars were bought new by me. I prepped my 03 and bought it. At the time I was lucky to get it because it came in under the radar, so to speak.

I had originally decided to put no more than 500 miles a year on the 03, but, that changed after the first year of ownership, after 610 miles. It then set for 6 years while I made changes.

After that I had Tim Barth tune it, twice. The reason for two tunes was because my X4 was stolen and I needed a new one that had the stock tune in. Tim was nice enough to sell me the new X4 at his cost because he felt some responsibilty for the loss.

At 75 years of age I can still get excited about driving it but I keep the mileage down so my wife, if she outlives me will have a nice asset to cash in on.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I had to laugh as I read this how much I hate the fact that I own and have owned Garage Queens. Living in WV there are just times that it is simply not reasonable or enjoyable to have a "Hot Rod" on the road and they inevitably become what we dont like owning up to. I seem to put more miles a year on my Cannondale EVO road bicycle than I do my Hot Rod. My Roush Trak Pak will continue to be a queen, but will get appx 2000 miles a year a hope and a track day or two.

All this is why I seem to love my Raptor more than any other Hot Rod I have owned. It is quick, fun to drive, and the best vacation/trip vehicle ever. I can park it anywhere and the running board protect it from door dings and it is a blast in the snow. It now has 66k on it and I have Bronco coming one day and I may part with it for a while. I suspect that after owning the Bronco for a month I will place an order for a new Raptor.

Attachments

• 261747086_655437982113721_4519819868697175364_n.jpg
    261747086_655437982113721_4519819868697175364_n.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 72

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i've got a medical condition that prohibits me from having a garage queen. unless i'm out on a highway each day shifting my musclecar at redline, getting sideways in turns, and laying down rubber, i go through serious withdrawal

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
1987 Factory Slantnose 930 has almost 90,000 miles on it now. 1 family owner since new. Seems like a lot but that's only like 2500 miles per year.

ETA: My motto has always been that they make cars to drive, whiskey to drink, etc. That stuff does me no good sitting in the garage or on the shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread