Garage Queens

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
When I was younger, I would frown on the low mileage garage queen cars. I appreciate them much more today. I would never daily drive a special car in certain places. Sitting in constant traffic, having idiots door ding your car, having the car sit out in the elements most days of the week is for cars that are viewed as appliances. Taking out that special car on nice weekend days is something to really look forward to.

I agree with this completely. In my younger days i would rag on guys who "bought" their big hp/modded cars (not realizing the $$$ savings in doing so at the time), and guys who stored their nice cars and barely drove them. Now I get it. My 1989 GT vert isn't super low miles (98,000)... but I just finished a 2 year restoration, it was my deceased dad's car, I learned to drive in this car, and took it to my 1997 Senior Prom... it's literally irreplaceable. When I drive it, I'm constantly freaking out because I feel like every single driver on the road is out there with the sole intention of killing me and crashing into this car.

C2tuck

Established Member
I agree with this completely. In my younger days i would rag on guys who "bought" their big hp/modded cars (not realizing the $$$ savings in doing so at the time), and guys who stored their nice cars and barely drove them. Now I get it. My 1989 GT vert isn't super low miles (98,000)... but I just finished a 2 year restoration, it was my deceased dad's car, I learned to drive in this car, and took it to my 1997 Senior Prom... it's literally irreplaceable. When I drive it, I'm constantly freaking out because I feel like every single driver on the road is out there with the sole intention of killing me and crashing into this car.

Well…let’s see it!

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I sold my 08' Bullitt Edition car last year because I was not driving it for the last 4 years. I have a race car that sits for 6 plus months of the year and figured I did not need two vehicles that could not be driven for 6 months a year due to snow/winter.
The first year after moving to Maine there was snow on the ground for 7 months in a row. November on into May. The last 3 years it averages only 6 months a year with snow. It does not always have snow on the ground, but at some point in the month we will get snow, typically Nov through April.
It is one thing to not drive a car, it is another thing to not be able to drive the car due to weather.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It is one thing to not drive a car, it is another thing to not be able to drive the car due to weather.
Bingo. Big reason why I haven't gotten too serious about adding a C6Z or CTS-V. Just another car that'll sit in my garage half the year.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with it at all. I have several "special" cars, some have LS swaps and one has a coyote swap. None of them see 500 miles a year. The way I see it, I'm getting into a new car every time I take one out and remember why I bought them with every drive. Plus, my moto is "it keeps me from wanting one"

I laughed at the comment someone made about having never used their windshield wipers. While at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona one year in my 1970 GS Buick it started to rain on the way back to the hotel. I was nervous for two reasons. One was because in the 20 years that I owned the car it had never been in the rain. The other was I didn't know if the windshield wipers worked. LOL, they did!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
My bike and my ranger are the current garage queens. With 3 separate shoulder surgeries-procedures in the past 4 years all done in the spring, it killed my riding abilities. My ranger needs a little fab work for wheelhop and power steering, and isn’t near as fun as the cobra View attachment 1734517View attachment 1734518

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I wanna take up riding just so I can have a bike like that.

All my cars were all sunny day weekend drivers. Some higher mileage but all car show worthy. I had GT's and knew that my SVT's would never be daily drivers

I bought my current, and last one, 2 years ago with 3500 miles on it. Has 5500 on it now. I bought it for the investment piece and one last GT500. I had no idea prices would skyrocket like they have. So, car could make me money, but I am not tired of it enough to sell.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
Well…let’s see it!
Well I was trying not to spam the thread but here it is
FB_IMG_1635969392234.jpeg
20211017_144042.jpeg
FB_IMG_1635813794133.jpeg
20211130_171614.jpeg
FB_IMG_1636154297604.jpeg
20211106_165207.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I only have put a little under 4,000 a year on the SS since I got it. Which is far less than the average mileage of a 2014. Had 24,212 now just flipped 36,000 on it. I know a guy that found a 1986 SVO stang with less than 5,000 (4677) miles on it and it has been nothing but a nightmare to get running as soon as one thing gets fixed another thing goes. All the turbo system which cost ($6,000) to replace and get running then the fuel system was next, followed by all the transmission and rear seals going. He has said it would of been better and cheaper to just get one with 12 to 40,000 miles on it and be ahead of the game.

After 3 years of this last year it finally got driven without a hitch and he put close to 5,000 miles on it to make sure all that happen before never again happen to it.

Ouch. I can't understand how that turbo cost you $6k. Owned SVO's since the early 90's so if you need assistance or advice with anything let me know.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Ouch. I can't understand how that turbo cost you $6k. Owned SVO's since the early 90's so if you need assistance or advice with anything let me know.

He done a correct numbers matching restoration for this as he wanted it as original as possible. Yes you are right there is cheaper ways of doing this, but when you have a goal and is to have the car as is when it left the factory, then money is no object for such an endeavor.

kaz109

Established Member
03 M3 has 70k mi on it ( bought it used with 40k on it back in 08) and I don’t see it going up at all as I only use it for track days

Raptor has 4K mi on it and was bought new in Jan 2020

My 19 Audi Q8 is a lease and gets driven the most but still only has 15k it as both my wife and I work from home.

I had a 19 E53 AMG that I sold due to the market that had 6k on it.

I would drive more but there typically isn’t a need.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
He done a correct numbers matching restoration for this as he wanted it as original as possible. Yes you are right there is cheaper ways of doing this, but when you have a goal and is to have the car as is when it left the factory, then money is no object for such an endeavor.
I get that, but we can usually get the OEM turbos rebuilt for a reasonable cost. Anyway, don't want to derail the thread further. It just seemed like an outrageous amount of money for a turbo repair on one of these cars. Unlike many of the other Fox body models, SVO's haven't really appreciated in a similar manner. So hard to justify some of the crazy NOS parts prices people are asking.

Users who are viewing this thread