Garage light fixture

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
In the process of installing new light fixtures in the garage and I have a small problem...the new fixture does not cover the existing hole in the ceiling. It leaves 3/4-1” gap. I should probably switch out the box, but that still leaves me with the problem of the hole. I’ve never patched drywall like this. Thoughts?

Pics for reference
IMG_1223.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
A galvanized metal cover plate with a center knock out, should be available at lowes or HD. Fixture should have a bigger knock out to allow for connector installed on plate. Paint flush cover white if you wish.
aefd79d8d3f315409583bd2c55110ce4.jpg

dd3457ef8185f1e53135fd42671e7b92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Drill 7/8 hole in fixture, use plastic romex connector and use the light as a junction and patch drywall

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

My94GT

Established Member
Cut a piece of sheet metal and paint it or see if Home Depot or similar have a pre made block off plate

coposrv

Established Member
4” round cover with 1/2” KO available at any hardware/home center. 1/2” chase nipple from cover into back of fixture and bring all the wires into the fixture. Don’t bury a splice.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

verbal

Established Member
If you really don’t want to see anything behind the fixture I would go with a smaller box.

All you need to do is take a small square piece of sheet rock and trace it to the ceiling. Cut the square out and your new electrical box will come with a circular template to make your sheet rock cut. You can attach the new sheet rock to the existing ceiling by putting some wood behind both pieces of sheet rock. I usually use paint sticks. The amount of plaster work you will need to do will be minimal.

blk02edge

Established Member
Just get a round octagon cover plate with center knock out and a 1/2" chase nipple, paint the cover plate if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread