Game system advice

4barrel

Established Member
The most recent video game system I purchased was a Playstation 2 back in 2003. I don't game often.

I need advice. I have two little boys. One is 4 and the other 6. They like gaming and play their tablets. We go to GameStop sometimes and they like to play the display model systems. I'm thinking about getting them a system for Christmas. Which system do you recommend for them? I've done minimal research. When will Playstation replace the 4? When will a new X-Box come out? I read that Nintendo will release the Switch in March. Should I wait until then and get the new Nintendo for my sons birthday which is in March? They like to play the new Lego Star Wars game at GameStop.

Thanks for any advice.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It's hard to beat Nintendo for kids. Huge selection of age appropriate games.

I believe Xbox has an update coming out this month called "project scorpio."

I have an Xbox one already so I may get the switch depending on game selection/price/specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK Doom

Established Member
Neither.

Obviously our idea of parenting is probably different.

Are you going to Gamestop because you're a gamer?

I'm a gamer, but I won't be buying my 3 year old anything anytime at all in the near future.

EDIT:
I think that when they are in their double digits, its fine. In todays entirely too digital age I think that people have too many distractions.

Last edited:

Korican

Newb
Established Member
The most recent video game system I purchased was a Playstation 2 back in 2003. I don't game often.

I need advice. I have two little boys. One is 4 and the other 6. They like gaming and play their tablets. We go to GameStop sometimes and they like to play the display model systems. I'm thinking about getting them a system for Christmas. Which system do you recommend for them? I've done minimal research. When will Playstation replace the 4? When will a new X-Box come out? I read that Nintendo will release the Switch in March. Should I wait until then and get the new Nintendo for my sons birthday which is in March? They like to play the new Lego Star Wars game at GameStop.

Thanks for any advice.

Similar thought on waiting till your boys are a little older for console gaming... Keep them playing simple games on the tablets is a good idea and cheaper haha.

SlySy

My son watches My Little Pony???wtf
Established Member
I want this new Nintendo Switch, it looks like loads of fun. I haven't played Zelda since Windwaker, I'm looking forward to this new one, oh yeah, a new Mario is coming too. I have both a PS4 and XBO and play games on XB and watch movies on PS. I've always done that though, way back through my PS3/XB360 days and PS2/XB-og days.

Last edited:

4barrel

Established Member
Don't worry about my parenting fellas. They are active in t-ball and other activities. I won't be allowing them to sit and play video games for hours on end. As I said in the original post, I haven't had a console since Playstation 2 was new. I don't game. I stopped at Game Stop a couple times as we walk past and my boys see through the storefront and beg to go inside.

As for tablets and Minecraft, that's the current situation. Haha!

Looks like the new Nintendo Switch it is. Thanks!

Last edited:

wckdvnm

Established Member
It's hard to beat Nintendo for kids. Huge selection of age appropriate games.

I believe Xbox has an update coming out this month called "project scorpio."

I have an Xbox one already so I may get the switch depending on game selection/price/specs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Project scorpio is over a year off and it will most likely based off of tech be at around $500-600.
Being said I am a gamer and have a original Xbox one, there is some great uses for it and kids games or games that are kid friendly.

Machdup1

Established Member
I saw an original PONG on Craigslist.

Have them start at the beginning.

It is sad that I remember Pong being cool when it was released. Up to the that point, the best electronic games had flippers and bumpers so it was radical technology.

Yeah old people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Not trying to ruin it. I've seen it happen first hand. Video game addiction in young children is a real thing and I've watched it ruin a family member.

U.M.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The classic Nintendo system is coming out on November 11th. Like the one that came out in 1985. Pretty cool for kids and adults alike.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Project scorpio is over a year off and it will most likely based off of tech be at around $500-600.
Being said I am a gamer and have a original Xbox one, there is some great uses for it and kids games or games that are kid friendly.

you're right. I thought the website said holiday 2016, but its holiday 2017.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Holy crap with the parenting advice and 'video games ruin people.' :nonono:

Nintendo (for kids, anyway) FTW!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not trying to make this thread about parenting, but some studies have shown there are some benefits to video games, especially with helping to combat depression.

I whole-heartedly agree with limiting time spent on video games though. Sounds like the OP is already doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread