FYI if you have a Linksys WRTP54G with Vonage

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I have had Vonage for over a year and just replaced my ATA as well as my parents with a new Linksys WRTP54G and was having quality issues with it. After looking at the firmware one was at 1.00.12 and the other was like 1.00.8 and I couldn't download the current useable version from the web site. I contacted Linksys requesting an upgrade and they gave me the response to contact Vonage which had tried and never received a response. Not happy with the response Linksys gave me I decided to respond in kind informing them that I am a CCIE that deploys voice regularly and if they would not provide me the desired firmware I would be returning both units. She then decided to provide me the upgrade to 1.00.37 which is the most current release they had. After upgrading to 1.00.37 then rebooting the unit it immediately upgraded to 1.00.50 and later to 1.00.52 which is the current rev on my units. My unit works perfectly now without any quality issues or concerns. Also if you have not gone through the Vonage site recently there is a new simultaneous ring feature which is great. If you can my home phone now both my wife's and my cell phone ring simultaneously so if we are not home we can see who is calling and answer it.

Anybody who has this unit might want to check what revision they are running and if they have an old one I can provide the firmware file Vonage sent me.

Last edited:

Ecarlcl

Established Member
what kind of quality issues were you having? My dad has vonage with some linksys setup..I'm not sure which model. Sometimes phone calls just cut out. I'm sure he'd love to have that problem solved

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Ecarlcl said:
what kind of quality issues were you having? My dad has vonage with some linksys setup..I'm not sure which model. Sometimes phone calls just cut out. I'm sure he'd love to have that problem solved

Primarily delayed dial-tone, poor voice quality, and unstable calls. He should HTTP to his default gateway address I believe the base password is username admin password admin and on the top right corner it will show the firmware version.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
HPCobra04 said:
Are you downloading anything on the net whie this is happening?

This was not a bandwidth constrant issue I had actually just pulled out my Motorola ATA which I never had a voice quality issue with. After upgrading to the current firmware I haven't had a problem since. My issues are resolved I am posting this to make everybody else aware this situation exists and I expect a large percentage of people running out dated code like I was.

blown88gt

Established Member
I have been thinking about the Vonage thing. I just been kinda wanting to talk to someone who has it about it. What all do I need and how much is startup and are there any hidden cost and does it work well.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
blown88gt said:
I have been thinking about the Vonage thing. I just been kinda wanting to talk to someone who has it about it. What all do I need and how much is startup and are there any hidden cost and does it work well.

You actually have two choices Vonage or ATT CallVanage both use the internet for local loop. Of the two Vonage is cheaper both monthly and international for the locations I am interested in. The most important thing is you need high-speed internet access I have Comcast Cable which has been great and much faster then when I had BellSouth DSL. In order to really save money you want to completely drop your current LEC, BellSouth in South Florida, this includes DSL.

My last monthly bill was as follows.
International Calls $50.68
Premium Unlimited $24.99
FET Tax $2.27
Regulatory Recovery Fee $1.50
Total Amount $79.44

That is with my wife talking to family in Trinidad for 362 minutes.

You can either sign-up online or buy an ATA at a local store like Best Buy. The difference is I don't believe the one you get online has wireless, but might be wrong.

blown88gt

Established Member
I have cox cable High speed internet I already have no land line just a cell phone. So I just need to get a router for it. I have a Linksys wireless router my computer is hooked up to already. Is it a special kind????? Dunno Guess I will go to their site and see what all I need. Thanks

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
blown88gt said:
I have cox cable High speed internet I already have no land line just a cell phone. So I just need to get a router for it. I have a Linksys wireless router my computer is hooked up to already. Is it a special kind????? Dunno Guess I will go to their site and see what all I need. Thanks

Yes it is a special one it has 2 phone adapter ports
Satellite

Users who are viewing this thread