Future Turbo Mach 1... Need Advise

MonsterMach1

Established Member
I have a 2003 Oxford White Mach 1 and I'm planning on doing some modifications to it. Currently the car has 86k miles and runs great. Has some goodies: Steeda a-arms and k member, SLP off road x-pipe, and borla dual exhaust, 4:10 gears, built tr3650, steeda tri-ax short throw, stage 3 ram clutch, k&n and a few more to mention. But... I really want to go with the On3 Performance turbo kit and I've seen guys like Modularspeed and some others build some nasty stock bottom end engine that held up really well and put some serious number on the pavement at low boost. What do you all think about this? I Dont want to destroy my engine. And I know going forged is the best thing. But can it be done with a good tune? And me have no worries? Or should I just wait? I know a few guys who throw P1SC on there 2Vs and never have a problem. Need help and advise

sdg97232

Established Member
I'd do a compression test 1st if your engine is heathly then go for it! To keep your engine alive you'll need to upgrade your fuel system (i would run E85 if you can) keep the boost in check and get yourself a very good tuner. You're not that far away from panama city I would suggest using Eric brooks, he is a great guy and an amazing tuner.

If you need proof of his skills I'll tell you this story, a few weekends ago I was at my local 1/8th mile track with my mach. I was running horrible times (8.2's) my mach off the bottle is easily a 7.70's car n/a Eric comes up to me and says "I hear your car pulling timing do you want to data logg it on your next pass" I said "hear it?????" "Sure let's data log her" now keep in mind he didn't tune my mach I've never given him a penny he hooks his lap top up I make a pass and he was right on the money! Right off the launch the computer was pulling 13* of timing and almost 18* at the big end I was amazed he knew. He will be tuning all my cars from now on.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I responded in my thread to your question but I'd stay away from ON3 imo. There turbos are junk and so are there wastegates from everything I've seen and read but them. Some people will disagree. I have 88k on my stock motor. It hasn't had a easy life either. Eaton swap and now a turbo. If compression is fine then if you stay below 500 and or 10 psi I think the motor will live and that's if you don't stay on the rev limiter all the time. xXx has done all the tuning on my car from day one. I've heard good things about eric brooks also. E85 is nice but you'll need about 40% much of a fuel system to handle it. Why mine isn't on it yet. I'm on my phone right now so its a pita but if you have any question lmk.

sdg97232

Established Member
I know I've heard all the stories on on3 but I'm going to give their new gen 2 ff kit a try on my cobra. I know I'll end up upgrading the turbo, waste gate and blowoff down the road but the gen 2 piping looks to be quality work.

MonsterMach1

Established Member
Xxazuremach I appreciate the advise and sdg, thank u. Coming from only owning 5.0s getting into the modular engine world its kinda a new animal. Also there aren't many people out here in destin, Florida that I can get help from. I've heard the pros and the con's about On3 but apparently the 2nd gen kit has a majority of the bugs worked of "so they say". But going to panama isn't far for me. Only about an hour and half. But main goal is to have this Dohc turbocharged but dependable. I know that its going to be a pretty penny and that is the reason I'm thinking On3 bc modularSpeed made over 480 on low boost. I'm not wanting a lot of boost yet. And I have a cousin who has a ton of turbos, waste gates, and trannys back home in STL. I'd really like to do a similar setup like you have azure. I want a six speed and my cousin has one for sale for 1600$ and its a viper spec T56. So I'm leaning on that idea first before the kit. As far as E85... Well I Dont even know where I could get my hands on that here in north western florida. So I think that will wait. I've also considered doing an Eaton swap but Dont know where to find the full set of parts. Plus turbo V8s are just nasty sounding. Idk its up in the air. But if I do it I want to do it right.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
My thing with ON3 is after you upgrade the turbo, WG, BOV and whatever else they have problems with then your at the same price if you piece one together like i did. I made 472/512 on 6psi with my setup. I plan to ditch the T56 and go 4R75 at some point soon.

MonsterMach1

Established Member
Yeah I've seen that car! His exhaust sounds beast.! So do you think that I can meet up sometime? My girlfriend lives in Pensacola so I'm out there every weekend. I'd like to see you car in person if possible? I'm stationed here at Eglin but I'm not air force I'm in the navy haha I work with the F35 stealth fighter. Not that any of that matters.. But anyways what setup did you go with for your car? Or did you do a complete custom setup?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Yeah I've seen that car! His exhaust sounds beast.! So do you think that I can meet up sometime? My girlfriend lives in Pensacola so I'm out there every weekend. I'd like to see you car in person if possible? I'm stationed here at Eglin but I'm not air force I'm in the navy haha I work with the F35 stealth fighter. Not that any of that matters.. But anyways what setup did you go with for your car? Or did you do a complete custom setup?

He has a cg fabrication hot side. A hell of a lot better than the junk on3 sells and it's priced really well for a Forward facing hot side with headers.

Get yourself a cold side, intercooler, turbo, wastegate, bov, oil lines and clamps and you're good to go.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member

Yea man anytime. When I can get free we all meet up Saturday nights but with a 1 yr old and my wife working nights its hard for me to get out. Justin guy with the 5.0 comes over almost every Saturday night. Its a CG Fab FF hot side and custom cold side and everythibg else. I'm happy I did a kinda custom kit. Got all the top of the line parts for about half of what a kit cost.

4.6pimp

Established Member
I personally went the on3 route and just went ahead and had new v bands and clamps installed. I had no exhaust leaks and never had any trouble from there turbo, wastegate, or bov. I had only around 3000 miles on the kit when the motor let go so I have no real longterm test to speak of. buying new gates and turbo would be a smarter long term deal but if you don't have the money right now the on3 stuff will get you by! I made 526/538 @ 11lbs and the motor let go on 13lbs probably close to if not over 550rwhp. That was on there base 70mm turbo. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

MonsterMach1

Established Member
Yea man anytime. When I can get free we all meet up Saturday nights but with a 1 yr old and my wife working nights its hard for me to get out. Justin guy with the 5.0 comes over almost every Saturday night. Its a CG Fab FF hot side and custom cold side and everythibg else. I'm happy I did a kinda custom kit. Got all the top of the line parts for about half of what a kit cost.

Well private message me so I can get your number so I can hit you up! I really want to see how that car rides.

MonsterMach1

Established Member
My thing with ON3 is after you upgrade the turbo, WG, BOV and whatever else they have problems with then your at the same price if you piece one together like i did. I made 472/512 on 6psi with my setup. I plan to ditch the T56 and go 4R75 at some point soon.

Well once you swap trannys I may want to buy your T56 off of you

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Man nick you were right cg fab kit is f'in nice........I'll be ordering mine this week and probably a 80mm turbo.......who did you use for your cold side?

Talk to them about the 80mm. Think the kit is designed for up to a 76mm. Anything bigger the turbo hits the timing cover and ele fan/rad. I custom built my cold side. Just had a friend weld it up.

Users who are viewing this thread