Future Road Racer with Some Qs

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Future Open Track Racer with Some Qs

Hello Gentlemen,

I moved to the Houston area (west side) about a year ago, and purchased my 2004 Cobra at the beginning of this year. I was planning on doing several upgrades to the car before really hitting the track, but I figured, what the heck. I have very little seat time at the limit in this vehicle. However, I'm never going to learn how to drive this car by just throwing more parts at it.

Current Mods and Parts

-Nitto NT555 ZRs on stock chromies (275/285) - I wish I had gotten the NT05s :(
-NAPA Safety Stop Ceramics on the front and O-Reilly Brake Best on the rear. They are quiet, and I plan to get a dedicated set or track pads.
-Billetflow IRS Brace and MM Poly Diff Bushings...I know, I know, poly sucks, but I was uninformed and anxious.
-Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors
-MGW Orange Shifter
-K&N FIPK, MRT Catted H, Flowmaster cat-back
-I have an SCT X3 with a Street and Track Tune...the Track Tune has stock timing and conservative amounts of fuel (11.5-11.7) netting 421whp/385lb-ft.
-Aeroforce Dual Interceptor Scan Gauges with W/B for the vitals.

Anticipated Mods

-Reische Performance Thermostat
-Bruce's Bushings

I plan on going much more aggressive with the mods once I have learned the dynamics of the car, e.g. front and rear STB, coil-overs, etc, etc. but I don't want to get carried away with just modding it for the track, especially while it's still my DD on terrible Houston roads. I'm also very curious to see how it performs in stock trim, and to feel the improvements after the upgrades.

Here are my questions, and I appreciate the input on them all. I'll just list them, so feel free to answer any, all, or none. :beer:

1) What is the best way to get into open tracking? Are there days for free runs, practice session, etc., or is traveling to designated track race days with a particular group the only way?

2) Where in the Houston area are tracks for such events? My girlfriend's dad has raced his CBR600RR at the Mercedes-Benz of Sugarland track and at Texas World in College Station (we're Aggies, WHOOP!). I am pretty excited to race both of these, but once again I'm unsure how to get my foot in the door.

3) Is diving into this during a Texas summer a bad thing, especially with the 04?

4) Is there a good shop that deals with suspension upgrades in this area? Most of my mods were put on by Houston Performance, but I'm not completely sold on them yet. I believe their main field of competance is in the engine performance/straight-line performance business.

5) What's a good set of dedicated track pads? I've heard a variety of inputs, and a slew of things to stay away from...basically enough to make me dangerous, which is why I ask.

6) I know poly in the IRS is crap, but what about a poly kit for the front bushings or the sway bars, say from MM? If it's still no good there, what's a good option?

7) What's the advantage over stock to get a tubular K-member and tubular front A-arms with this car specifically?

Thank you again for taking the time to read this long-winded :cryying: for help. :rockon:

-Trent

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I can field some of these.

1. Not sure in your area, but there should be a few different clubs holding events at your region's tracks. Run searches to find more specific info.

2. Same response as 1.

3. Heat is the enemy.....in many different ways.....Engine heat being the most critical in terms of the reliability of your machine. You will find a lot of info on here regarding this topic.....run searches on user name "racebronco2" Carlos is one of, if not the authority on the subject.

4. Not sure of specific shops, but I highly recommend....at the novice level.....that you drive the car as it sits before spending hard earned cash on mods with potentially marginal return.

5. Cobalt XR2's are the absolute shite.....boat anchor out the back stopping power, but very heavy on the noise and dust end......and keep those wheels, and the car clean after running in the rain. otherwise....get used to using the claybar to get the residue off. These pads may be more aggresive than you are ready for, but at some point you should try them.....they are amazing pads.

6. I ran poly in the front of my Cobra, and didn't see a significant benefit...it is either delrin, or don't bother.

7. In the case of the MM K, and tubular arms...the benefit is better suspension geometry, more available negative camber, more available caster etc...

....again, if you're new at this, there is no reason to apply any of these mods.

Once you start pushing the car harder, you find the need for better pads, brake cooling, better engine cooling etc...

Spend your cash on track event fees, and find events with capable instructors. After a bunch of seat time, then formulate a plan on what you'd like to change on the car to keep you in the seat for longer. Make the priority you...not the car. High performance driving is more about improving yourself than improving your car...though that does eventually come into play.

Best of luck...and welcome to the "Go Fast Crack Pipe". :)

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
Let me add a few things that I learned when new and sometimes the hard way.

Wheels: Its more important that what you think. If you are running 17's get at least one set of R58 Cobra R wheels. They are meant for racing moreso than your chromies. They are plentiful and reasonably cheap. If looks are important, you can still get them new.

Mods: Stop. Unless its for safety or for reliability, don't touch the car again til you have a lot of laps. The more goodies on your car and the more goodies you put on your car, the harder it is to get the car right and the harder it is to figure out if problems are you or the car. For instance incorrect technique can make your car loose in the corners as likely as the car's set up making it loose. Its hard to improve if you are not sure which is which.

The Basics: I think you will find that getting the most out of your car will be found in basic things like tires, shocks and springs. The right tire choice and attention to tire pressure is the first step. Your tires will tell you if your car is handling correctly and if they have the correct pressures in them to start. You can fix or at least improve an ill handling car by small changes in the air pressure.

Take your time: Don't be in a hurry. Baby steps are the best way to go. Whether it your driving or your car building. Take one step at a time.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
To throw my own .02 in the bucket.... I started open tracking a couple of years ago and had very similar questions. Read the primer at the top of this forum and do a couple of searches on here on the topic. My replies are below in yellow.

Kevin

Hello Gentlemen,

I moved to the Houston area (west side) about a year ago, and purchased my 2004 Cobra at the beginning of this year. I was planning on doing several upgrades to the car before really hitting the track, but I figured, what the heck. I have very little seat time at the limit in this vehicle. However, I'm never going to learn how to drive this car by just throwing more parts at it. Very true statement

Current Mods and Parts

-Nitto NT555 ZRs on stock chromies (275/285) - I wish I had gotten the NT05s :(
-NAPA Safety Stop Ceramics on the front and O-Reilly Brake Best on the rear. They are quiet, and I plan to get a dedicated set or track pads.
-Billetflow IRS Brace and MM Poly Diff Bushings...I know, I know, poly sucks, but I was uninformed and anxious.
-Maximum Motorsports Full Length Subframe Connectors
-MGW Orange Shifter
-K&N FIPK, MRT Catted H, Flowmaster cat-back
-I have an SCT X3 with a Street and Track Tune...the Track Tune has stock timing and conservative amounts of fuel (11.5-11.7) netting 421whp/385lb-ft.
-Aeroforce Dual Interceptor Scan Gauges with W/B for the vitals.

Anticipated Mods

-Reische Performance Thermostat
-Bruce's Bushings

I plan on going much more aggressive with the mods once I have learned the dynamics of the car, e.g. front and rear STB, coil-overs, etc, etc. but I don't want to get carried away with just modding it for the track, especially while it's still my DD on terrible Houston roads. I'm also very curious to see how it performs in stock trim, and to feel the improvements after the upgrades. Wait until you have completed your 3rd or 4th event before buying anything for the car. By that point, you will start understanding what you need to be doing on the track and the weak points of your current setup will start showing themselves. Fix any weak points first before spending money to go faster. I promise you that your car as it sits is fast enough for you for quite some time. As in much longer than 3-4 events, but I know all to well about the "mod-bug".

Here are my questions, and I appreciate the input on them all. I'll just list them, so feel free to answer any, all, or none. :beer:

1) What is the best way to get into open tracking? Are there days for free runs, practice session, etc., or is traveling to designated track race days with a particular group the only way? The best thing for you to do in the beginning is to get in with a group that offers Driver Education events. Some groups call them High Performance Driver's Education events. Either way, you need to be in a classroom environment and then on track with a dedicated instructor on a headset with you. Don't get in a rush to get rid of the instructor. There is a lot to learn from them. They will teach you the lines of the track, braking, accelerating, turning and so on. The first thing you need to spend money on is reprogramming your software... ie your brain. Learn to drive your car before spending any money on the car.

2) Where in the Houston area are tracks for such events? My girlfriend's dad has raced his CBR600RR at the Mercedes-Benz of Sugarland track and at Texas World in College Station (we're Aggies, WHOOP!). I am pretty excited to race both of these, but once again I'm unsure how to get my foot in the door. One good resource is MotorsportReg.com : Online registration management tools for driving and social events. Register on there and then you can start searching for events in your local area. Another good resource is watching this very forum.

3) Is diving into this during a Texas summer a bad thing, especially with the 04? Just keep an eagle eye on your temps and short shift on the straights to let the car breathe. Also, when you come off the track, take if for a lap or three around the pits to get everything to cool off.

4) Is there a good shop that deals with suspension upgrades in this area? Most of my mods were put on by Houston Performance, but I'm not completely sold on them yet. I believe their main field of competance is in the engine performance/straight-line performance business. I bought a car that had a bunch of work done by them. No issues from anything that I saw. However, refer again to my no mod comments at this time.

5) What's a good set of dedicated track pads? I've heard a variety of inputs, and a slew of things to stay away from...basically enough to make me dangerous, which is why I ask. I do think you could stand to go ahead and get a good set of track only pads. You can keep the current rotors and just swap pads or you can get a dedicated set of rotors as well. Some folks have issues when swapping pads from different manufacturers on the same rotors. I personally really, really like my Carbotechs (it helps that they are local to me). I have ran their AX6s on our street 01 vert and I have ran XP8s/XP10x/XP12s on our track 99. My personal recommendation is to go with XP10s. Also, after your first event or two, get a set of brake ducts from Anthony (do a search for MidContinent on this forum). They will make your pads last longer, you will reduce the likelyhood of boiling fluid and the bonus of blowing away all the brake dust!!!!

6) I know poly in the IRS is crap, but what about a poly kit for the front bushings or the sway bars, say from MM? If it's still no good there, what's a good option? You don't need to worry about it right now.

7) What's the advantage over stock to get a tubular K-member and tubular front A-arms with this car specifically? Nothing for a long time for you. Don't worry about this until you are looking to change your suspension to corner better (a long time down the road for you) or you are looking to reduce weight (again, to help you corner/brake/accelerate)

Thank you again for taking the time to read this long-winded :cryying: for help. :rockon: No problem. We all stood in your shoes at some time or another!!!!!

-Trent

Users who are viewing this thread