Future Car Value

mambaman

Established Member
i'm curious as to what you guys think will happen to the values of our cars as time goes by. for instance, i picked up my '98 for $15K with 27K miles on it. the car is in superb condition (although i have some transmission worries...if the work is done, it will be replaced by a ford dealership, so i hope that doesn't hurt the value too much). what do you think i can expect to get for it, 3, maybe 4 yeras down the road with about 60K miles?i'd imagine by then it will be something of a collectors car. any responses would be great.thanks

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
youd think it would be a collectors item, but the way its going now, probably a lot less

94CobraPace

Established Member
IMO, I think it will take longer for the cars to start to appreciate in value. They will go down, then back up. And I am thinking it will after the car is 10 years old. Just look at the 93 Cobras, they are just now starting to go up or staying the same in price.
That is one of the reasons I bought a Cobra Indy pace car, only 1000 made.
Just something to think about, what if you would have bought a Shelby when the gas crunch came for 2k, that car would be around 20k now!!! I hope that is what happens to my car, as I plan on keeping it for 20 more years.

mambaman

Established Member
i'm planning way ahead, but i suspect that i won't be able to use my car in a few years anyway, so i might just put it in storage depending on how the market looks at the time.thanks for the responses

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Keep it clean, don't beat it up, and keep all the paperwork you have on the car. People out there like these cars, and although the market might not bring top dollar, you will almost always get what your car is worth and maybe more from someone who appreciates them. in 20 years...who knows.

cobra331

Established Member
Ya never know

Hell, in twenty years the internal combustion engine might be banned and/or heavily restricted. We'll all be driving hydrogen cars or some damn thing!! Yikes!!

Peter

Established Member
It's very hard to predict the trends,I had a 70
fastback mustang back in 1974 which I couldnt give
away, musclecars made a big move back in the mid 80's
through the 90's. What's gonna be in 15-20 years, are
these kids driving these Honda's going to be collector's?

Pete

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
My uncle had a 71 Boss 351 he gave away in 1983 for a whopping $3000. A few years and it would have gone for about six times that. Trends are very hard to predict!

I've heard lots of stories from guys growing up in the late 70's that bought muscle cars dirt cheap in those days. Guys with Hemi Chargers that they beat around in, 454 Chevelles that were a dime a dozen, and yes...Mustang Mach ones and Boss cars that were run hard and put away wet. Where are all these cars now? Lots of them are wearing new paint and in some collector's garage. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself!

Users who are viewing this thread