Fusion 2.0 reliability after a tune?

RusWolf

Established Member
Hello all...

As much as i want to keep my 2014 Fusion stock because it's my DD and i need it to be 100% reliable. I am thinking about maybe tuning it. However, i wonder how much reliability will be affected?

How many of you guys are tuned and how many miles since tuned?
Main reason for thinking about tunes are:
1) Improved shift points and to get rid of that delay when i shift to R.
2) get little more power and again improve shift points.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have had many customers put a great amount of miles 100+K on their EcoBoost platform since tuned.
The tune improved shift points like you are seeking.
The delay going into reverse can not be eliminated as that is there to protect the transmission.
Our tune makes 222Hp and 282TQ at wheels on 93 octane!

RusWolf

Established Member
We have had many customers put a great amount of miles 100+K on their EcoBoost platform since tuned.
The delay going into reverse can not be eliminated as that is there to protect the transmission.

Yes i have looked at your tunes..
are you guys looking to maybe switch your device to COBB? I've never seen your tuner but in another thread someone mentioned that it is outdated or something like that...

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
Livernois tuned my Fusion when it was 2 days old so it still had 87 octane fuel in it when I got to Livernois, so I got the device loaded with Livernois' custom 87, 89, 91, and 93 octane tune files.

I immediately noticed improved throttle response and the transmission calibration was much improved! Shifts are now firm and precise and it no longer feels lazy or like the trans is slipping between gears.

In stock form, the car would chirp the tires (barely) and go. Even with the 87 octane tune loaded, you have to roll into the throttle or the tires spin through first, chirp on the 1-2 shift, and spin through the rest of second gear. If you roll into it, it still spins a bit and chirps the tires on the 1-2, but it feels much quicker.

After filling with 93 octane and loading the 93 octane tune, I took it back to put it on the dyno. The 93 octane tune felt almost like going from stock to the 87 octane tune in terms of seat of the pants gain.

This is without a doubt, the best modification for these cars. In addition to the increased power, it gets much better fuel economy. In stock form I was seeing 22.5 avg mpg (all city). With the Livernois tune, even with some spirited driving, I was seeing just over 26 mpg (all City).

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is all in perception. While it doesn't have bells and whistles, it has the most important aspect of all. The ability to put our custom tuning onto the car.

Many people get caught up in having the latest and greatest feature, forgetting that those things have absolutely zero impact on the quality of the tuning, which is the most important feature of all.

Our tuning software is unique to us as we have found far too many issues, or gaps in various commercially available tuning solutions, so we designed a tuner to fit with our software to deliver what people want, results...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Good question op. I am also thinking about a tune for my 2.0 fusion.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Been tempted to tune my wife's 14 fusion. Not sure if she'd be into that though lol.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
You guys may want to check out 2gfusions.net....there are a lot if discussions over there regarding tuning. You may have read my post questioning livernois if they ever thought about upgrading their devices. They said that they like to hear feedback and this was mine to which they never responded. It wasn't meant to deny their tuning abilities which I'm sure are top notch. They have been in the ecoboost platform a long time.

I personally want a quality tune AND the latest features. It is 2014! I'm in the IT field though and a geek when it comes to this type of thing. It's like buying a tv....sure this one puts out a great picture but so does this other one and it's also a smart tv and costs the same. I'm not tuned yet mainly due to some of your same concerns. I'll likely do this eventually but I also like options. Just in the past 10 months since I've owned mine at least 3 different tuners have hit the market.

RusWolf

Established Member
I can't access 2gfusions from work lol and when i get home i forget about it.

Anyway. i mainly want it to stay as reliable as possible. Let's say i would like to retain 90% of stock reliability after getting tuned.

So far i see several companies offering tunes..

Livernois,
Steeda,
few more that are less knows (i think) so i'm not sure how realiable those guys are...

Why can't we get a reliable tuner to have his/her (any female tuners out there? lol) tunes loaded on the latest device such as SCT X4 or COBB AP.
Device that yes will load the tune but will also give us an ability to adjust little things like speedo and whatever else people may want to adjust and not mess up the tune file.

Anthony K

Established Member
My 14 fusion was tuned by livernois a few weeks after getting, I'd say, it's about paid itself off already in the fuel savings. It's my wife's car and she loves it!

Get a Cobb, then send them data logs, then a new tune, more logs, pretty soon you'll have a decent tune. Or buy livernois tuner and be done!

There's nothing you can change in the tune, what's the point in monitoring any of it? Boy racer? Mount it on your dash to look cool? Show your friends! Look! We are going 58.9mph! Shit! That speedo is way off!!

Put a monster tach in your fusion too while your at it, you'll be the hit of the Walmart parking lot!

RusWolf

Established Member
There's nothing you can change in the tune, what's the point in monitoring any of it? Boy racer? Mount it on your dash to look cool? Show your friends! Look! We are going 58.9mph! Shit! That speedo is way off!!

Put a monster tach in your fusion too while your at it, you'll be the hit of the Walmart parking lot!

Congrats you just won the honors of being the retard of the thread with that ^^ part of your responce! :)

Andy@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
You guys may want to check out 2gfusions.net....there are a lot if discussions over there regarding tuning. You may have read my post questioning livernois if they ever thought about upgrading their devices. They said that they like to hear feedback and this was mine to which they never responded. It wasn't meant to deny their tuning abilities which I'm sure are top notch. They have been in the ecoboost platform a long time.

I personally want a quality tune AND the latest features. It is 2014! I'm in the IT field though and a geek when it comes to this type of thing. It's like buying a tv....sure this one puts out a great picture but so does this other one and it's also a smart tv and costs the same. I'm not tuned yet mainly due to some of your same concerns. I'll likely do this eventually but I also like options. Just in the past 10 months since I've owned mine at least 3 different tuners have hit the market.

Well, we know some people want features, but if you step back want think about it, why do you need datalogging? Because the tuners that tout it know their tunes won't be perfect from square one. Why else would you need it? By use understanding the vehicles we tune it negates this feature. We know what the vehicles do under certain conditions and either know what to change on a tune by description, or know what mechanical issue they are up against and what the solution is for that.

More and more the tuning community seems to be trying to emulate the phone market. Features are starting to matter more than the results you get from using the piece of tech.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member

Seems a bit low compared to the ST 2.0'with a tune?

RusWolf

Established Member
I've been researching more tunes and also found several other tuners that tune these cars.

MPT, Mountune and unleashed both have SCT X4 with 3 tunes for $399 i think.

Have you guys heard of them? i know unleashed and mountune has pretty good reputation, but not much info available in regards to fusion tunes.

Also, wouldn't datalogging be considered as a smart way to go about just to make sure everything is running good because customer may drive the car at a different altitude etc etc..

Last edited:

Andy@Livernois

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I've been researching more tunes and also found several other tuners that tune these cars.

MPT, Mountune and unleashed both have SCT X4 with 3 tunes for $399 i think.

Have you guys heard of them? i know unleashed and mountune has pretty good reputation, but not much info available in regards to fusion tunes.

Also, wouldn't datalogging be considered as a smart way to go about just to make sure everything is running good because customer may drive the car at a different altitude etc etc..

This is a copy and past from another board, but it fit's surprising well for the log vs. no log thought process we have:

Our tuning device is definitely a higher price point that others, but we feel one thing makes it worth it: Our Experience and knowledge.

If people look at our history and reputation you will find it's one of results, reliability, integrity, and service.

Combine that with the fact that we develop calibrations in house for mods, rather than sending people on datalog missions we feel that's a benefit of our tuner as well.

Unfortunately the aftermarket community has been hoodwinked into thinking that to get good results means buying something, getting marginal results, and then risking life, licence, and vehicle making high speed WOT pulls on the street over and over again until the tune is right. This is definitely not how tuning should be done. And time and time again people fail engines while doing it and somehow don't make the connection that saving $200 cost them thousands in the long run.

We have made it a mission to provide the community something rare: honesty. We aren't going to tell someone we can tune for every combination under the sun, and then make people do our dirty work for us. We feel that someone giving us their hard earned money makes us honor bound to providing them something safe, powerful, and enjoyable from the word go. And this means spending time developing the proper calibrations here at our facility.

But this is why our tuner costs extra money. It makes people expect more out of us, and more is exactly what we deliver. We have seen that as price goes down, so do people's expectations. This is why you see good reviews on a $200 exhaust that rusts out in a year and had to be modified to fit. So goes the same with anything. Someone expects a $50 tune to be marginal, and a $450 tune to be amazing. But if someone has allowed themselves to be convinced the $50 tune is all they need, they never realize what they are missing by having a proper setup.

An amazing amount of tunes we sell are to people that have gone down the cheap path, and get beat by our customers, and then realize what they missed out on.

So, I hope that makes some sense to those wondering why we don't do logging. It's just unfair for those who give us their hard earned cash to then make them go out and do a bunch of work for us, and then convince them it's somehow a good thing.

RusWolf

Established Member
Just wanted to update,

I found a great deal on unlocked SCT X4..
if/when i pick it up in few weeks i will go with Unleashed SCT X4 tune. Read insane amount of good feedback about his tuning for focus ST and several great reviews from fusion owners. Seems like he knows SCT and ecoboost 2.0 engine well.

Users who are viewing this thread