Fully Built C5Z or Heads/Cam C6Z

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I keep going back and forth between buying a C5Z and a C6Z. IMO, the FRC body style is the best-looking Corvette ever made. On the other hand, the C6Z needs no introduction. There’s no arguing the C6Z is better than the C5Z is just about every way, and a nice heads/cam combo turn them into complete monsters on the highway. However, my budget of $35k would allow me to buy a fully built C5Z, and I keep getting drawn back to that body style. Another benefit to a C5Z is lower cost for insurance and taxes, which is never a bad thing.

Right now, I’m talking with the owner of an fully built 2004 Z06 - HKE 403, AFR 225 heads, Novi 2000, RPM TR6060 and diff, supporting mods, etc.; the full gambit, making north of 900whp. The car is very clean with low miles and drives around like stock until you get on it.

I’m also talking with the owner of a 2006 Z06 and another owner of a 2008 Z06. Both cars are clean with low miles too. The ‘06 is making 610whp with a heads, cam, intake, exhaust setup. The ’08 is making 580whp with a similar setup but has a 150hp shot.

1. 2004 Z06 35k miles – Fully Built – 900whp – asking $36k
IMG_0173.JPG

2. 2006 Z06 35k miles – Heads, Cam, Intake, Exhaust – 610whp – asking $36k
2746410_x640_03.jpg

3. 2008 Z06 57k miles – Heads, Cam, Intake, Exhaust – 580whp + N20 – asking $35k
unnamed_8__aa27f27880794a03fde0b23a9908b06d6d7a8c65.jpg

I always overthink, and research the crap out of every purchase I make, and this whole process is starting to become overwhelming. I’m to the point where if I buy one of them, I’ll regret not buying one of the others. Looking for words of wisdom.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
All the cars I've ever owned have been "dated" and it has never bothered me. This would be strictly a toy and not a DD.

Never_Enough

Established Member
$35k for a C5Z? GTFO. You don't get C6Z money for a C5.
You would seriously buy a C5 for the same $ as a C6? Don't waste your $ in that case. Get the C6Z. Mine was a blast to drive.

FYI, 150 shot on top of 580 WHP = playing with fire on the LS7. You could be fine, but you could blow the LS7 with over 700 WHP as well. I'd steer clear of that one unless the motor is built.

Also, do not listen to the panic attacks about LS7 heads. I assume these 2 cars have had them taken care of since they are modded. If not, budget a couple grand to do it.

FYI, sold my Cam, tune & bolt-on 07 C6Z (Atomic Orange) w/27k miles for $35k earlier this year. You can get those prices down a bit. ;)

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Do a leakdown on the 403 before negotiation, regardless of miles. Same with the 08 Z06.

And more detail on the cars would be nice.
Email From C5Z Seller said:
Let me give you a run down what the car has done, I will highlight the most important items/upgrades/parts/etc. There is nothing to hide about this beast so i will explain & give you all the details. I've owned this car since Winter '15 I believe, bought it from NC. Car was originally build by ECS, then sold to TX and had motor work done by Bret Bradbury (forum car mechanic/fabricator/tuner/guru), then sold to NC and Mayhem Performance did TR6060 & diff work from RPM. I picked it up and later had it delivered back to Bret Bradbury for rebuild, extra power and tune. Here is the run down.

***HKE 403cc Iron block***
- Callies Dragon Slayer LS1 Crankshaft (High end/High Hp crank)
- Callies Compstart rods
- Wiseco 20cc pistons
- Total Seal piston rings
- ACL coated H race rod bearing
- LS7 Lifters
- ARP hardware throughout
- C5R chain
- Melling High volume Oil pump
***AFR 225cc heads***
- Ported and Polished
- BTR stg 3 Camshaft (custom specs by Brian Tooley)
***Billet-Tech 170amp alternator black anodized (1k miles)***

The motor was properly broken-in with Joe Gibbs break in oil, which was changed and now is running Brad Penn racing oil 20W50. This motor was fully refreshed & rebuild less than 1k miles ago (Spring of 2016). Had compression and leakdown completed, all checked out on all cylinders. Here are the numbers for each cylinder:
#1 170psi, #3 160psi, #5 170psi, #7 160psi
#2 170psi, #4 170psi, #6 170psi #8 160psi

***ECS Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger sytem (rebuild 1k miles ago, all pulleys, balancer, DP drive, instake piping & filter 1k miles)***
- ECS big race Intercooler w/3" piping
- 4" inlet piping
- 4" intake w/big a@@ filter
- 8 Rip pulley set up
- 10% OD Balancer
- Dallas Performance Direct Drive system
- Procharger open race valve

***Alky Control Methanol system (1k miles)***
- Dual nozzle, controller in custom ash tray mount with LED light on steering column
- New check valve, filter, methanol pump, controller, and MAP sensor

***Fuel***
- 80lb injector
- Dual Walbro 450s intank fuel pumps (1k miles)
- Bosh 044 external pump w/new check valve
- 3 stage fuel system, w/boost referenced, (1k miles)
- Hotwire kit for fuel pumps
- E85 compatible fuel lines & AN fittings, high flow E85 compatible fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator (1k miles)

***Exhaust (1k miles)
- ARH 2" headers w/3" X-pipe
- GHL SS bullet exhuast w/4" quad tips

***RPM Lvl 6 TR6060 transmision w/2.97 ratio (10k miles)
- RPM Lvl 3 diff
- ECS Trans brace

***McLeod Racing RXT1200 cluth w/steel flywheel (1k miles)
***Pfadt Coilovers (5k miles)
***DBA brake rotors w/Hawk brake pads, StopTech SS brake lines (1k miles)
***Dewitts radiator w/Dual 12" Spal Fans
***Custom dual -10AN line vented catch can set up tucked away w/drain line valve

***Billet Specialties WinLite 17x9.5" & 17x11"
***255/45/17 Nitto 555 & 305/45/17 MT ET street R

***Interior***
- MSD 2 step
- PLX DM100 multigauge w/ VAC/Boost, Wideband, Fuel Pressure sensor modules
- BEER panel in ashtray w/Alky controller, PLX controller, 2step & Line lock switches
- Shift light tucked away in the corner
- Pioneer double din headunit
- C6 shift knob

Car is basically my weekend/sunshine toy & joy. It was worked & tuned by on of the best guy in states, he opened his own shop after my build & I can give you his contact if you have any technical questions or concerns (Brad Bradbury, Dallas TX). Lets put it this way, there is none. Car was street & highway tuned on 93 pump & M1 Methanol. It's the best way to tune the cars for true power and drive-ability. It makes every bit of plus 900whp if not more, before the refresh & upgrades I had it at 800whp with smaller heads, cam, headers, boost, and fuel. With current set up ppl on the forum made anywhere between 900-935whp and that's with same size motor, heads, cam, headers, blower, boost, etc, so i'm confident that it makes that as well. I plan on putting it on a dyno once it gets warmer and nicer, just to have something to back it up. I do have the dyno sheet from 800whp pull in my folder.

I have never drag race or lunch the car before. I baby it when driving but I do have a heavy foot when it's time to put bus lenghts on someone. I took it once to 1/2 mile event last fall and ran 176mph with passenger in the car. I only did 1 run and shut the car down due to poor airstrip conditions imo (potholes galore in shut down area, with sharp turn going over bumps, holes, and rocks). I do have a video of that and will include the link, short shifting 1-3 and letting it rip from 45 mph. I do plan on returning to better prep event/track and go for + 180mph, car has that in it. I do plan taking it to 1/4 mile if i keep it just because everyone wants to know how fast it will go MPH in 1/4. I'm not a drag racer but i do like to have fun on "mexican highway".

Car is st00pid fast and fun to drive, my wife loves and hates it. Why? she loves to cruise in it due to how much attention the car gets, the sounds it makes, and ppl just smiling/waving/taking pictures. She hates it for how fast it is, i never can go fast with her or it ends with her: crying, praying, screaming, upset stomach and hate to me, LMFAO. My friends said it gives them tunnel vision and i had one of them throw up after 3-4th gear pull we did, hahaha.

Car was build to be the baddest C5 in Chicago. It has stock drive ability with absolutely incredible power. The motor/transmision/diff is build to hold 1200-1300WHP, Fuel system is ready to be switched to E85-E100 with just set of bigger injectors and tune. That alone should net additional +~50whp on the current blower set up. You can slap F1X Procharger, 1650CC injectors on E85 and make 1200-1300 WHP with just that or you can enjoy what i believe it's enough on any street car.

Here is the 1/2 mile 1 pass that I only did with this car. It was against Gen IV viper with new Gen V build motor and all bolt ons. That was on 18" Toyo TQ drag radials, short shifting 1-3, and then flooring while still spinning 3rd, lol. Guy had $30k in the build making something around 650whp just to get walked by stock looking c5Z. He didn't want to race me as you see " I can't hang with that vette man " hahaha. He lunched and took off, while i followed the rules and hit it at 45mph when passing cones.

I'll get you pictures and more videos later. Currently car is stored in storage unit for the winter (wheels off, car on jack stands, fuel topped off with stabilizer, methanol drained, etc.) If you are serious about it then I don't have an issue starting it up and doing a walk-through, but keep in mind storage is tight area ;) . Reason for selling is I don't have one except for, I have a chance to buy a fully build drag LSX fox body mustang or 2JZ fox body mustang from 2 of my friends, so this would have to go. I haven't listed it anywhere yet, nor dunno if I will bc it will take a specific buyer that is looking for that raw power race car ;)

2008 Z06 For Sale thread

08mojo

Established Member
I love that C5z, but not for $35k...I don't care what's done to it. I'd go for an 08+ C6Z and one that hasn't had nitrous on it.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I tend to agree $35k is pretty expensive for a C5Z. What do you think a car of that build magnitude is worth? Coincidentally, the nitrous car just sold. What's a fair price for a heads/cam 06?

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
Sub $20k like all the other C5Zs
I get it's not worth as much as a well equipped C6Z, but you really think a clean, low miles, fully built 900whp 2004 Z06 is worth less than $20k? The majority of heads/cam ones with the same or more miles are selling for that.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I get it's not worth as much as a well equipped C6Z, but you really think a clean, low miles, fully built 900whp 2004 Z06 is worth less than $20k? The majority of heads/cam ones with the same or more miles are selling for that.
Yes, I do. Outdated old tech. He's just trying to get a nice chunk of his money back. I can see the Speedway White cars commanding A LITTLE more $, but that's it.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
I would go for the C6. I would never get into a C5 for 35k now. Just do a leakdown/compression on whatever you decide to buy. I'm impartial to the C6 I just think it is a much better looking corvette than the C5, but all that aside, I would still go for the C6 with the LS7. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

The clean really low miles will command more than average miles cars, but I have seen them still go for lower 20s, mid 20s at most. My buddy just picked up a 38K mile 02 Torch Red C5Z for 18-19K. I personally would not spend C6Z money on a heavily modified C5Z, would rather find a good deal on a low mile C5Z and build it myself.

EDIT: I would recommend 02-04 over the 01 cars. The 01s tended to be oil burners, cam profile wasn't as aggressive (though if you are modifying it that doesn't matter) the 02 and up cars got the HUD.

2001 with 18K miles for 22K

2002 with 10K miles for 24.7K

C5Zsale.PNG

Zemedici

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread