full length vs. shortie headers

dicks 99 cobra

Established Member
Just wanted to know if anyone has had full length and shoties and what was the difference between them? Also does anyone have dyno sheets of long tubes on a cobra?

99svtvert

Don't have the dyno's close at hand. But got 4-5 RWHP between 5000 and 6500 RPM and no torque from Ford Shorties. Got 17.4 RWHP and 18.1 RWTQ with JBA Mid lengths from 2500 up.

I like the idea of mid lengths because there are no ground clearance issues and I can change clutchs or do transmission work without taking off the headers first.

I'll try to Post dynos tonight.

Cobra99Dave

Established Member
I havent dyno'd yet to see the difference but I switched from BBk longtubes and off road H pipe to JBA shortys with a catted X. I really dont think there is too much difference in top end performance although I did lose 1 mph from 123 to 122 at the track. Down low though the difference I can really feel. The shortys have much more torque although its probably due more to the backpressure created by the cats rather than the headers themselves.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
blksnake99 said:
Don't have the dyno's close at hand. But got 4-5 RWHP between 5000 and 6500 RPM and no torque from Ford Shorties. Got 17.4 RWHP and 18.1 RWTQ with JBA Mid lengths from 2500 up.

I like the idea of mid lengths because there are no ground clearance issues and I can change clutchs or do transmission work without taking off the headers first.

I'll try to Post dynos tonight.

It is for this reason that I will be getting Bassani

99svtvert

I have JBA midlength headers + JBA catted H and a JBA H. I would like to use a Bassani X but I do not think that is possible. Maybe Bassani would have been the way to go.

Also, the JBA's were much more difficult to install than Bassani's due to the header to manifold mounting flange; for JBA it is one piece; for Bassani each exhaust tube is seperate and bolting up to head is so much easier.

Power wise it's probably a toss up.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Yea I am sure the gains between the 2 are negligable, but the bassani fit and finish is amazing, and I have not read a SINGLE negative thought on them. Granted they are not true long tubes, I am sure the power is close and there is no scrapping when lowered.

Users who are viewing this thread