Fuel system upgrade question?

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
I am getting my KB 2.3L on Monday and along with that I bought a set of the 60# Injectors and Walbro 255lph Dual Fuel Pumps from LFP. I decided to get the injectors and pumps to feel a little safer since I am on a stock block still. I will be keeping boost around 10-14 psi. Here is my question... I had came across a tech article on KenneBell's website and the following information about the fuel system confused me. It said that the Lightning fuel system differs from the Cobra due to it having a regulator. And then it goes on to say WARNING: Leave the regulator, fuel lines, fuel pumps, and fuel rail stock. Now why is this? I know MANY people upgrade their pumps and injectors etc. Any help on this would be appreciated. Here is a link to the article and it is on page 4of9. http://kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/Cobra_LightningTechTips.pdf

Last edited:

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I personally think there is A LOT of marketing in those articles.
EXACTLY! I read that article all the way through and some more of theirs. They seem pretty cocky! I know that they are trying to get their product out there and at the same time inform us if important information about performance upgrades. But they do it in such a way to make us look dumb and uneducated on upgrading if we had modded something not to their liking. Oh well, just getting a feel for what you all have done as far as fuel upgrades go. Who better to ask then the members on here who have been doing this for a lot longer than me.

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I think Kenne Bell's R&D is second to none. You have to emit there's alot of very fast trucks in here because of it. I would go with what Kenne says any day. If he says it puts out 700HP then he had to have the fuel system right. If you read it, it make perfect sense's. Or you can go with billy bob tuner. There's alot of those around.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Illtaketwlight said:
I would go with what Kenne says any day.

I normally would too, until I read this:

There is no way that lowering the charge temperature after the supercharger with an intercooler, a larger intercooler, or ice water can increase horsepower.

hmm. :dw:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I normally would too, until I read this:

hmm. :dw:
You gotta read all of it, it also says "with no other changes made to the engine" I'm sure on the Dyno you wont. In other words. If the system is working and you just add ice or some other form of cooling you wont see any HP. You have to adjust for this. "Timing" if you add some timing and your not using ice then there could be a lean condition. I guess what he's saying is its not worth it. Unless all you do is drag race. Which is very True. Chris also this is just IMO. But Kenne has been doing it for a very long time.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I understand what they are trying to say, but it definitely comes across like marketing to me. Maybe it's just the way it's written, but it sounds very "Tim-like".

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I understand what they are trying to say, but it definitely comes across like marketing to me. Maybe it's just the way it's written, but it sounds very "Tim-like".
EXACTLY! Very sarcastic like.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
MOST of the stuff on KB's site is bullshit! Some is common sense true but the rest is just mindless drivel.

The FAQ page doesn't lie. :coolman:

low12lightning

Established Member
They tell you that in tank pumps are a waste of money! That is ridiculous. A boost a pump can only go so far. We run boost a pumps on twin 255's once we max those out. The only thing to be careful about is the stock return line. I'm building a kit for my truck, and have -8 AN lines, rails, and regulator tied into factory hard lines until i turn the boost up past 15 on my 2.6. The factory return line has trouble flowing enough fuel at low rpm when using a large pump. So you can get a rich condition with low, or no boost.

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
low12lightning said:
They tell you that in tank pumps are a waste of money! That is ridiculous. A boost a pump can only go so far. We run boost a pumps on twin 255's once we max those out. The only thing to be careful about is the stock return line. I'm building a kit for my truck, and have -8 AN lines, rails, and regulator tied into factory hard lines until i turn the boost up past 15 on my 2.6. The factory return line has trouble flowing enough fuel at low rpm when using a large pump. So you can get a rich condition with low, or no boost.

So do you recommend me using the Walbro pumps or not. Like I said I am on a stock block with a KB 2.3 with 3.5 upper and 4lb lower. I don't plan on running more than that.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
The proof in the pudding. Kenne was responsible for Johnny's 10.79 1/4 mile times with almost a stock L. Can anybody on here top that. LOL I can answer that NO. If you don't have much money to spend go to Kenne's site and print it out and live by it. You'll be the fastest L at the track with the least amount of money in it. Guaranteed. Most of the Go Fast Parts sold for L's do nothing more then just look good and some don't even do that. Fuel Flow bench, dyno, scanners, Data acquisition, and 50+ years experience does work. Lot better then forums. ;-)

Last edited:

low12lightning

Established Member
Illtaketwlight said:
The proof in the pudding. Kenne was responsible for Johnny's 10.79 1/4 mile times with almost a stock L. Can anybody on here top that. LOL I can answer that NO. If you don't have much money to spend go to Kenne's site and print it out and live by it. You'll be the fastest L at the track with the least amount of money in it. Guaranteed. Most of the Go Fast Parts sold for L's do nothing more then just look good and some don't even do that. Fuel Flow bench, dyno, scanners, Data acquisition, and 50+ years experience does work. Lot better then forums. ;-)

Or you could take advise from people who have done this exact thing many times, and are not biased like a manufacturer website. :coolman:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Ask your tuner what you will need. Not Kenne Bell.
KB is in business to sell super chargers along with Boost a pump and boost a spark.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
low12lightning said:
Or you could take advise from people who have done this exact thing many times, and are not biased like a manufacturer website. :coolman:
From what Ive read. He sales Blower, boost a pump, boost a spark, and tune. and there all cheaper then anything else on the market. He also tells you how to save thousands on crap that you don't need. We all know the blower is a no brain er. That leaves boost a pump and spark. Try to increase ether one cheaper. If you look at and read all the false advertisement on HP numbers that's on the net he has to be one of the most honest. How much money in yours and how fast ? We can compare.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Illtaketwlight said:
From what Ive read. He sales Blower, boost a pump, boost a spark, and tune. and there all cheaper then anything else on the market. He also tells you how to save thousands on crap that you don't need. We all know the blower is a no brain er. That leaves boost a pump and spark. Try to increase ether one cheaper. If you look at and read all the false advertisement on HP numbers that's on the net he has to be one of the most honest. How much money in yours and how fast ? We can compare.
And you have a KB in your Lightning?

Users who are viewing this thread