Fuel starvation on hard right handers

toma nova

TLDR: Car bogs and stalls on double-apex right after full-throttle straight.

Detail: MSR Houston road course, CW, going into 5-4-3 Diamonds Edge after full-throttle straight in 4th at about 110mph. Downshift and brake, double apex right at about 45mph, left kink at full throttle, car bogs just entering the next straight. First time it happened (first session, first hot lap), complete stall, turned over 4-5 times then restarted and I drove into the pits. Second session, first hot lap, exact same scenario, downshifted to second, no change, let off full throttle, car responded, limped in at partial throttle, day over.

Saturday, no issues at all, four great sessions, Firehawk Indy 500s, started with Exxon gas, filled at lunch with Shell.

Sunday (day of problem), had swapped to RE71s and just filled up that morning from a different Exxon station. After calling it a day, I drove home over an hour at highway speeds / partial throttle with no issues.

01 GT, stock tank, "supercar" pump (255 lph I think), new fuel filter in January. Tons of track days on this set up, never had a starvation issue with a full tank before, never had a problem at this track with RE71s.

Thanks for any guidance.

Tom

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Have u checked ur in-tank pump to see what the voltage is? Filter may be clogged or u need a fuel surge tank and or a baffled fuel cell. Tough to say.

I would make sure u have plenty of gas to. Guys like to leave it near empty cause its lighter but that can cause issues itself but fuel starvation is pretty common even at a 1/4 tank under hard breaking-acceleleration.

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I would recommend the on3performance baffled cobra tank for cornering... should be a bolt in replacement and it keeps fuel in the center at all times

toma nova

I had a full tank.

I've experienced starvation with sticky tires and less than half a tank so I keep it more than half with RE71s.

Never had an issue in the year I've been tracking the car and the PO used to run Hoosier slicks so even more grip and cornering Gs.

Any thoughts about the inertia switch or the in-tank check valve? I'm trying to identify things related to both flow and cornering.

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I had a full tank.

I've experienced starvation with sticky tires and less than half a tank so I keep it more than half with RE71s.

Never had an issue in the year I've been tracking the car and the PO used to run Hoosier slicks so even more grip and cornering Gs.

Any thoughts about the inertia switch or the in-tank check valve? I'm trying to identify things related to both flow and cornering.
inertia switch has to take a beating for it to act weird but if it triggers, its not going to turn back on so I dont think thats the issue. Not sure about the check valve but maybe check the maf plug and see if its loose cause it may come lose around corners and/or vibrations

Users who are viewing this thread