Fuel questions

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i bought an Ngauge and flex fuel tune from Lund, through beefcake racing. loved it, all you had to do was fill the tank with pump e85, give it a minute or two to adjust(it lets you now when you're good for WOT) and off ya go.

would also run 93 if you were somewhere without access to corn

ANGREY

Established Member
You don't need to do anything to the fuel system if you're just going E-85 without a power adder.

There's 2 types of tunes largely available, a "flex fuel" tune which simulates the % of ethanol content in your fuel tank based upon workaround readings from the wideband and knock sensors. It's a pretty good approximation and works for N/A power levels.

Then there's a dedicated E-85 or "race" tune, which ASSUMES what you're putting in the tank is quality E-85 (say 70+% but preferable 85%). On that tune, the computer doesn't "learn" anything it forces the timing into the tuning under the assumption you've filled it with proper high quality fuel.

From what I've read and seen from tuners, there's not much of a difference between flex fuel and E-85 if you're running high quality E and the car has had enough time to really dial in. So the flex tune is really the way to go because it allows you to fill and go and if you have high quality stuff it'll yield almost as much power/torque as the dedicated race tune and if you happen to have a little less quality, it won't risk anything and it'll adjust.

The dedicated race E-85 tune pretty much requires that you test before each fill up (and not fill up if your test comes up low). I personally ran both with an N-Guage that way if I got to the station on my dedicated race tune and I really needed fuel but it was suspect quality I could always reflash to the flex tune and get my by until the next tank. I don't remember what I paid Lund but once you guy the Ngauge and a flex tune I don't think it's that much more expensive to add a dedicated E-85 race tune. They also gave me a "ghost cam" tune but I never used it, some guys think it's okay but many others think it's bad for your motor.

Users who are viewing this thread