Fuel pump wiring help

ImPhobia

Established Member
Hey guys, so I bought a new 03-04 tank for my 04 cobra. The tank that I bought came with the fuel hat and pumps already in it. There was some black silicone on the hat with a wire sticking out of it, I thought this was maybe for a fuel pump voltage booster that was on the car it was taken from so I paid it no mind. Since then I have learned one of my pumps is not working. I took a look at the wiring on the hat and turns out there is a hole drilled in the hat with a red wire coming out of it.

So after some googling from what I can tell this is a needed upgrade when using GT supercar pumps in the stock 03/04 hat.

My question is, what do I run this power wire to so I can get the other pump functioning? Thanks in advance.

1utkgtL.png

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Was the other car running a return style set up? My thinking is that pump was run on a Hobbs switch. Is the factory wiring for the second pump gone from the other side of the hat? That would be the easiest way to go. Otherwise you need to connect that red wire to the power wire for the other pump so the FPDM can control it.

ImPhobia

Established Member
Was the other car running a return style set up? My thinking is that pump was run on a Hobbs switch. Is the factory wiring for the second pump gone from the other side of the hat? That would be the easiest way to go. Otherwise you need to connect that red wire to the power wire for the other pump so the FPDM can control it.
I honestly don't know, the part came from a junk yard and when I asked they didn't know much about the car. I haven't checked to see if the wiring is intact on the other side. However if these are GT supercar pumps then it wouldn't work with the stock wiring anyways, from what I was researching on google apparently the 2 of them draw too many amps for the stock wiring. I would think just teeing into the other power line would still be drawing too many amps from that power wire but I don't know for sure.

I also found this diagram online for someone who was running a return style fuel system so I was thinking maybe I could wire the pump using just one relay (the one on the left) for that pump. Would this be a proper way of doing it?
QXwRj4v.png

Thanks for your help.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been running GT pumps on stock wiring for over ten years. Even with the stock FPDM. The stock wiring will be fine. You can do the upgrade if you want to help with FPDC.

If you're still running a returnless system both pumps need to be controlled by the computer.

ImPhobia

Established Member
I've been running GT pumps on stock wiring for over ten years. Even with the stock FPDM. The stock wiring will be fine. You can do the upgrade if you want to help with FPDC.

If you're still running a returnless system both pumps need to be controlled by the computer.
Ok awesome I'm glad you were able to correct me on that, that will make fixing this much easier. Ill probably take a look in the hat to see if I can fix it in there. If not I will try and tee into the stock harness wire for one of the pumps.

You wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram of the fuel hat wiring on hand would you? I just want to be able to see which wire does what.

ImPhobia

Established Member
Sorry I don't. I'm on my phone and the manual is on my computer. Maybe @hotcobra03 will peak in. He seems to have this stuff memorized.
All good man, I appreciate the help. Im going to take a look inside the hat today when I get home and see if I can just use the stock wiring. Ill update with what I find.

Users who are viewing this thread